Could our front office get poached this winter?

Frobby

10 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Given that Ng decided not to stay, I cannot imagine that being a job that either Sig or Elias would be interested in.

Elias already said he’d be here next year.  Obviously that could change, but I’m not expecting it will.  

My impression is that Jeter hired Ng and let her have pretty broad authority.  With Jeter gone and a new POBO coming in, she probably doesn’t want to be second banana to an unknown quantity who didn’t hire her.   But some new POBO, once hired, probably won’t have trouble filling the GM vacancy.  

Edited by Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Elias already said he’d be here next year.  Obviously that could change, but I’m not expecting it will.  

My impression is that Jeter hired Ng and let her have pretty broad authority.  With Jeter gone and a new POBO coming in, she probably doesn’t want to be second banana to an unknown quantity who didn’t hire her.   But some new POBO, once hired, probably won’t have trouble filling the GM vacancy.  

That very well may be true but usually these aren't the types of jobs you walk away from.  I guess maybe she was told she wouldn't be rehired and this was a method of damage control maybe.  Anyhow, I would love to see the Orioles bring her in in some capacity. The Marlins seemed to know how to find pitching.

9 minutes ago, baltfan said:

That very well may be true but usually these aren't the types of jobs you walk away from.  I guess maybe she was told she wouldn't be rehired and this was a method of damage control maybe.  Anyhow, I would love to see the Orioles bring her in in some capacity. The Marlins seemed to know how to find pitching.

I don't see why she'd come here to be behind Elias.  She did well in Miami, not sure why she'd want to be behind another GM somewhere else.  She just made it clear that she wasn't being interested in being a #2 in Miami when they tried to hire a president of baseball operations over her.  

She'll take a lateral move or something with similar responsibilities and a fancier title.  Ng just bet on herself and walked away from a pretty good job, she didn't do it to go backwards.

39 minutes ago, baltfan said:

That very well may be true but usually these aren't the types of jobs you walk away from.  I guess maybe she was told she wouldn't be rehired and this was a method of damage control maybe.

According to the MLBTR snippet that I linked to, the team and she had a mutual option for 2024.  The team exercised theirs, but she declined.  So, no damage control on her part.

Per Brit:

“The abrupt departure of Marlins general manager Kim Ng on Monday morning came as a result of numerous instances in which Ng — who led the Marlins to the playoffs this season for the first time in a full-season year since 2003 — felt like she was being stripped of her power and underappreciated, multiple sources briefed on the matter told The Athletic.”

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Per Brit:

“The abrupt departure of Marlins general manager Kim Ng on Monday morning came as a result of numerous instances in which Ng — who led the Marlins to the playoffs this season for the first time in a full-season year since 2003 — felt like she was being stripped of her power and underappreciated, multiple sources briefed on the matter told The Athletic.”

sure

It’s very possible that Elias already has POBO power & pay without the POBO title, and he may be fine with that.  Regardless, he is the clear leader of the O’s Baseball Operations department, so unless another team comes calling and offering him a POBO title and much better salary than he’s making now, I don’t see John Angelos letting him go without doing everything necessary to match whatever is on the table from another team.  JA might be viewed as cheap, but that seems to be more associated with spending on top free agents, not with front office personnel, scouting, player development, analytics, etc.  

Mike Elias knows what he’s building in Baltimore, and I think he wants to see it through, plus he grew up in the region, so this is probably a dream job for him.  

• Upvote 2