Kjerstad possibly promoted?

OriolesMagic83

4 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

If Mountcastle is injured, can they call up Kjerstad to replace him and Kjerstad be eligible for the playoffs?

Yes, Kjerstad is eligible for the playoffs.   Playoff eligibilty is based on being in the organization before August 31, not whether or not you were in the majors.   So Enrique Bradford is eligible for the playoffs.

I was going to say maybe he could give us an Elly De La Cruz type boost, then realized despite being promoted as the best player in the league by MLB radio and TV showing some highlight or another each day he's OPS'ing .706 with a wRC+ of 82 and his fWAR is 1.5 which is completely driven by his defense, he's at -4.8 fWAR with his offense. I'm being honest, I just looked at his numbers, and I figured he was destroying the league as much as his name keeps coming up.

4 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

If Mountcastle is injured, can they call up Kjerstad to replace him and Kjerstad be eligible for the playoffs?

I believe so since he was in the organization prior to Aug 31.

Kjerstad needs to be put on the 40 man. But he might just be on the taxi squad.. but based on Mountcastle's mood in the post game interview i am guessing he goes on the IL. Someone will have to be DFAed off the 40 unless Mountcastle is put on the 60 day IL. My DFA guesses are Krhebel, Vavra, or Zimmerman.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I was going to say maybe he could give us an Elly De La Cruz type boost, then realized despite being promoted as the best player in the league by MLB radio and TV showing some highlight or another each day he's OPS'ing .706 with a wRC+ of 82 and his fWAR is 1.5 which is completely driven by his defense, he's at -4.8 fWAR with his offense. I'm being honest, I just looked at his numbers, and I figured he was destroying the league as much as his name keeps coming up.

By rWAR, Elly has been only the fifth most valuable rookie on the Reds

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It hasn’t been officially announced, right? We’re all here just working ourselves into a frenzy so far, correct?

Correct, the team has not said anything since last night's post-game interviews with Hyde and Mountcastle.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Honestly, what's the point in saving Cowser's rookie status?

The performance bar for winning RoY has become very high and does a player like Cowser have a realistic chance in this day and age?

As for #2, how does that scan with him not promoting Adley and Mountcastle when they were finishing the year at AAA?

Cowser could win.     Some of that formula would be Elias putting his thumb on the scale and reserving Holliday/Mayo for the 2025 race, not that he'd ever consider such a thing.   I do believe between Cowser and Kjerstad one will get featured to chase that 2024 prize, by which I mean I think one will get near everyday reps in a decent lineup spot for the counting aspect of the competition.

Jasson's injury dings one of the favorites - on other Clubs, there's Rangers OF Evan Carter, Red Sox SS Marcelo Mayer (or maybe Ceddanne Rafaela if they push him), and after that Cowser/Kjerstad are basically the chalk guys who already have good AAA time. 

Rays Junior Caminero - they showed us in the case of Wander Franco one approach, though incentives are different now.    I might trust Caminero or Holliday more to match talent with Spencer Strider next month, but for being productive in 600 PA in the 2024 AL, the Cowser type guy may have some advantages.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Someone has to get DFA'd for Kjerstad unless Mounty is a 60-day IL. I could see Vespi getting the whole ass DFA. But hopefully it will be someone like Krehbiel. 

Seems like Vavra is the obvious DFA.  I'm surprised he's still on the 40.  Vavra has a very long path to playing time in the majors.  Even for utility IF, he's probably 4th on the depth chart.

44 minutes ago, Malike said:

-4.8 FWAR doesn't even seem possible.  That would be worse than Brett Phillips playing every day. 

I would be surprised, but I suppose it isn't inconceivable McKenna or Hicks' roster spots could be challenged in this transaction.

I am thankful for the success Aaron Hicks has helped bring this team, but I still don't really believe he can play.     It would be a heck of a Michael Corleone decision.

Influencing that though is Mullins lower body health and if he is solid for a Ripken like workload in CF in the coming weeks.     They've been understandably cautious with that.

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I would be surprised, but I suppose it isn't inconceivable McKenna or Hicks' roster spots could be challenged in this transaction.

I am thankful for the success Aaron Hicks has helped bring this team, but I still don't really believe he can play.     It would be a heck of a Michael Corleone decision.

Influencing that though is Mullins lower body health and if he is solid for a Ripken like workload in CF in the coming weeks.     They've been understandably cautious with that.

Lol, what?

Hicks has a 1.000 OPS vs LHP. 
He's got an .822 OPS in the 2nd half.
He's got a 1.333 OPS in August.
He's hitting .291/.382/.467 since becoming an Oriole. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

-4.8 FWAR doesn't even seem possible.  That would be worse than Brett Phillips playing every day. 

Yeah, Fangraphs has his fWAR at -4.8 and dWAR at 7.1. BBREF looks at him as 1.0 bWAR  and 0.2 dWAR for 0.8 total.  I'd compare him to Mateo who had -4.3 fWAR last year but his dWAR was 14.2 and 2.8 total in 2022.

Edited by Malike