Heston Kjerstad 2023

Spy Fox

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Back to Kjerstad, he’s got nice, easy power.  I was listening to a podcast yesterday and the Bowie PA announcer was a guest.  He said what surprised him about Kjerstad when he was at Bowie was how much power he had to the opposite field and the LCF alley.  That was on full display last night with his HR to LF and two long fly outs in the alley (374 and 387 feet).   He definitely shows 35-40 HR potential.   

Nice, easy power is a great description of him so far.  That has impressed me as well.  It doesn't seem like he really got a hold of either of his 2 bombs so far, but out they went anyway.  That's a good omen.

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

So the big question... Has Kerstad played his way onto the playoff roster? Or is he just a fill in while Mountcastle and Hicks are unavailable? Could Kjerstad make it over Urias, Mountcastle, or Mateo?

If he keeps mashing then he's got a shot. As of today, I don't think they're going to bump any vets off the playoff roster for his sake. It might be matchup-dependent from round to round. 

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

So the big question... Has Kerstad played his way onto the playoff roster? Or is he just a fill in while Mountcastle and Hicks are unavailable? Could Kjerstad make it over Urias, Mountcastle, or Mateo?

He better. If he continues putting the ball in play, he adds a significant threat in the lineup.

I don't think he would need to make it over any of the players mentioned. There is room for all of them.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

He better. If he continues putting the ball in play, he adds a significant threat in the lineup.

I don't think he would need to make it over any of the players mentioned. There is room for all of them.

They would have to cut one of them unless they go short on pitchers. Adley, McCann, O'Hearn, Mountcastle, Westburg, Frazier, Gunnar, Urias, Mullins, Santander, Hays, Hicks, Mateo, and Kjerstad makes 14.

Especially if we don't have Bautista I think Hyde is going to want to be able to maximize his RP matchups. 

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Where is the adjustment period that Gunnar, Adley, Westburg went through?

I love what I've seen from the kid.  The easy power, especially to LF, is so obvious Stevie Wonder could see it.

But let's be real: It's been 13 plate appearances.  The "adjustment" period" refers to a much longer period, and it's likely that some struggles await Kjerstad.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The non-so-easy answer is HK's not on the postseason roster and they go with the horses that got them there.  But there's a lot of RHP in the AL playoffs and HK doesn't seem overwhelmed.  So, I think HK has as good a shot as any of the others.

I think they like Mateo's speed and that seals his spot on the postseason even if he's got the lowest floor with the bat. And Frazier's clutchiness and low K% seals his.

Which leaves Urias and Westburg IMO.

Urias is solid all around but not spectacular with any trait.  Experience and better "high leverage" stats.

Westburg has the highest ceiling but the least experience of the non-HK options.  Better numbers against LHP.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

They would have to cut one of them unless they go short on pitchers. Adley, McCann, O'Hearn, Mountcastle, Westburg, Frazier, Gunnar, Urias, Mullins, Santander, Hays, Hicks, Mateo, and Kjerstad makes 14.

Especially if we don't have Bautista I think Hyde is going to want to be able to maximize his RP matchups. 

12 pitchers is plenty for the playoffs. Especially a 5 game series.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I love what I've seen from the kid.  The easy power, especially to LF, is so obvious Stevie Wonder could see it.

But let's be real: It's been 13 plate appearances.  The "adjustment" period" refers to a much longer period, and it's likely that some struggles await Kjerstad.

The 5 K's in 13 AB would definitely suggest that he's got some adjusting to do. And while I think HK has easy power to all fields, it's worth noting that last night's HR snuck into the first row of the cheapest LF in baseball. It's hard not to be happy with the early results though, and I haven't seen anything to move me off my expectation that he becomes a force in the middle of the lineup.

1 minute ago, deward said:

The 5 K's in 13 AB would definitely suggest that he's got some adjusting to do. And while I think HK has easy power to all fields, it's worth noting that last night's HR snuck into the first row of the cheapest LF in baseball. It's hard not to be happy with the early results though, and I haven't seen anything to move me off my expectation that he becomes a force in the middle of the lineup.

A couple of those SOs were called 3rd strikes. HK has a very good eye but he isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt from an ump as anewbie. Hell Adley isn't getting that and he has a great eye. They seem to be throwing more off speed to HK so I guess we see if they find a weakness. With his bat speed and eye I don't fastballs will be a problem.