Heston Kjerstad 2023

Spy Fox

I know I'll get killed for this but I'll say it anyway:

The attitude and the way they carry themselves couldn't be more different between Cowser and Kjerstad.

Cowser always looked like he as in a comedy club and having the time of his life without a care in the world.

Kjerstad looks like he's engaged in something serious.

I found Cower's demeanor a little offputting to tell you the truth.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The attitude and the way they carry themselves couldn't be more different between Cowser and Kjerstad.

Cowser always looked like he as in a comedy club and having the time of his life without a care in the world.

Why do you hate people having fun??

(you did say you knew you'd get killed for this)

In all seriousness, it takes a mix of personalities to make a team work, and having a carefree joker to keep everyone else loose isn't a bad thing at all, as long as they're still putting in the work (which I've never heard anyone suggest that Cowser doesn't).

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I somewhat agree with your description of their personalities but I think it’s good to have both types in a clubhouse.  Every clubhouse needs some guys who keep things light.   I think if Cowser had played better in his relatively brief stint, people wouldn’t be faulting his personality at all.  Just my opinion. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I somewhat agree with your description of their personalities but I think it’s good to have both types in a clubhouse.  Every clubhouse needs some guys who keep things light.   I think if Cowser had played better in his relatively brief stint, people wouldn’t be faulting his personality at all.  Just my opinion. 

I agree with all this.  It takes all kinds, and if Cowser had hit .330, he could do it in a rainbow wig and I'd be thrilled.

It was just an observation I made about their temperaments.  

35 minutes ago, deward said:

Why do you hate people having fun??

(you did say you knew you'd get killed for this)

In all seriousness, it takes a mix of personalities to make a team work, and having a carefree joker to keep everyone else loose isn't a bad thing at all, as long as they're still putting in the work (which I've never heard anyone suggest that Cowser doesn't).

Agreed with this as well.

9 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I mean Adam Frazier is our big out of house addition.  Somehow, I think that kind of acquisition is sustainable.

I said no lineup is 100% homegrown on any team. You said ours is, right now. No. It's not. DFA's, Rule 5's etc, do not count as homegrown players.

Drafted and developed, show me a starting lineup on any successful MLB team that is 100% homegrown. Just one. You can't. It doesn't happen.

It's nice penciling in all these prospects but the reality is many will not be good MLB players.

4 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Mountcastle has a career 7.3% BB%, 7.8% this year. Kjerstad had a high walk rate in 100 PA of A ball last year, but was 8.6% in A+, 7.3% in AA and 8.0% in AAA. Kjerstad probably (hopefully) does have a better batting eye, but I’m not expecting him to walk much. He’s aggressive swinging at strikes early in the count and is going to put a lot of balls in play. He’ll probably have a similar BB rate to Mountcastle but hopefully a better K rate.

Kjerstad is not a patient hitter in the same mold as Adley, Gunnar, Cowser, Holliday. His K/BB rates will depend on where his MLB chase and whiff rates land ultimately, but likely they will be averagish and what is going to carry his offensive profile is his contact quality, like Mountcastle, O’Hearn, Hays, Santander. 

Maybe 2023 Ryan O’Hearn is a better comp that Mountcastle, but with better contact rates. 

Mountcastle is like Jones, they both have good bat to ball skills but bad command of the zone.  I hope Kjerstad has better command of the zone.     

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

I said no lineup is 100% homegrown on any team. You said ours is, right now. No. It's not. DFA's, Rule 5's etc, do not count as homegrown players.

Drafted and developed, show me a starting lineup on any successful MLB team that is 100% homegrown. Just one. You can't. It doesn't happen.

It's nice penciling in all these prospects but the reality is many will not be good MLB players.

Frazier, Urias, Mateo, Santander, Ohearn. All outside organization. You could argue Santander was sorta developed by us. Also McCann when he plays and Hicks.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Says who?

The fact is, we're going to win 100 games this year without a serious FA acquisition, and our biggest one has been our most maligned player, and hardly instrumental to our success.

While I totally agree with you that not all prospects will succeed, and we're definitely going to have some bust out in our current crop, that doesn't mean the solution will require expensive FA or even modest FAs.

2 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Frazier, Urias, Mateo, Santander, Ohearn. All outside organization. You could argue Santander was sorta developed by us. Also McCann when he plays and Hicks.

While those guys came from out of the organization, only Frazier has had any major league success anywhere else, and had any cost to acquire.

Just now, Pickles said:

Says who?

The fact is, we're going to win 100 games this year without a serious FA acquisition, and our biggest one has been our most maligned player, and hardly instrumental to our success.

While I totally agree with you that not all prospects will succeed, and we're definitely going to have some bust out in our current crop, that doesn't mean the solution will require expensive FA or even modest FAs.

Someone posted a lineup with nothing but prospects saying that was our future lineup. That's not how baseball works. Show me one team since the advent of free agency that was successful with a 100% homegrown roster. You can't, yet you're going to argue semantics.

I'm not saying we need huge FA guys, I'm just stating it's not realistic that the entire team is coming from the farm, it just doesn't work that way. I think we're on the same page, but might just be crossed up.