Playoff Roster

MurphDogg

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If Mountcastle is healthy I like McKenna’s odds to make it. I prefer 12 pitchers as well. Orioles may not. 

I could see Flaherty in a pen role. Maybe even in the regular season.  Means, Hall, Gibson and Flaherty are last 4.  

If only 12 position players I guess no McKenna. Baumann slight edge over Irvin.  

I've got the last two players as RMC and Mateo.

Players: Rutschman, Gunnar, Santander, O'Hearn, Hays, Hicks, Mullins, Urias, Westburg, Frazier, McCann, Mountcastle, Mateo.

Out: Kjerstad, McKenna. 

Pitchers: Bradish, Grayson, Kremer, Means, Gibson, Cano, Coulombe, Perez, Fuji, Hall, Webb, Irvin, Bautista.

Out: Wells, Flaherty, Baumann. 

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

For a start, I agree with you-- but I don't expect either will get a start.

For a ~2 inning relief stint in say the 5th/6th innings, I think I prefer Flaherty over Irvin in that role. 

I agree Flaherty can be a weapon out of the bullpen with his arm, but the Orioles need to test him out now for that role. The idea of Flaherty coming in the 4th inning of the divisional round with one out and two runners on base makes me nauseous given what we've seen to this point.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I agree Flaherty can be a weapon out of the bullpen with his arm, but the Orioles need to test him out now for that role. The idea of Flaherty coming in the 4th inning of the divisional round with one out and two runners on base makes me nauseous given what we've seen to this point.

He also needs to be better than the alternatives. Based on how he has pitched as a starter, I'm not seeing it. Between him and Irvin, Irvin already has experience in bullpen and is LHP. Baumann has been solid, if not spectacular. And Wells is great when on and has bullpen experience. I just don't see the need to make a desperation experiment move.

I think one thing to watch for specifically at home is facing LHH.  

I did not want Bradish to challenge Raley on Thursday, HR. Then yesterday the Ray’s rookie goes yard. Both guys were hitting 8th. Our park is so different now than it was. It’s a LHH park for power. Teams do the same thing the Orioles do and try not to stack LH/RH hitters together. Hyde and the pitchers need to know at times a walk is not the worst thing. 

It just feels like a lot of these “playoff type” games come down to a late HR. Perez could be huge in the postseason the way he is throwing. 

48 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I agree. Not sure if they are waiting for results of games to decide or not. 

Other thing is “if” Orioles win division they have 5 days off after regular season. Curious how they set up rotation in general down stretch. 

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

On the broadcast during the celebration after the game yesterday, Ben McDonald said Bautista threw off the mound yesterday and it sounded like it went well. 

I’d say it’s something closer to 25-50% that they get him into a game before the end of the regular season, and from that it depends on how his arm holds up and how much his effectiveness is affected. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Supposedly most recent update was "real-ish" bullpen:

Thanks. I had not heard about that update at all.

25 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Added to the OP lock list:  Hall

Very likely:  Gibson, Flaherty

I don't see how Lopez is on the postseason roster.  A non-100% Bautista is a better option IMO.

Lopez is not eligible to be on the postseason roster as he was not in the system on August 31. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I was actually about to start a thread asking about the bullpen.

Who do you actually feel confident about in the pen?

Right now:  Coulombe, Perez, Cano, Hall, Webb

Iffy:  Fuji, Lopez

Do not trust:  Baumann

I feel like the bullpen has gotten better over the past month.  Fuji has gone from a guy who throws gas on flames to being pretty decent.  I think they got Perez back on track to where he was last year somehow.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Right now:  Coulombe, Perez, Cano, Hall, Webb

Iffy:  Fuji, Lopez

Do not trust:  Baumann

I feel like the bullpen has gotten better over the past month.  Fuji has gone from a guy who throws gas on flames to being pretty decent.  I think they got Perez back on track to where he was last year somehow.

You trust Webb?

I don’t even want him on the roster. I have zero faith in him. 

Assuming Mountcastle is healthy

McKenna as a late inning defensive replacement.  No need to carry 14 pitchers when the max number of consecutive games is 3 days, and #5 starter is not needed.

Means, Hall, Gibson

Bautista of course if healthy.  If not, Flaherty.  He's at least a better option than Baumann as a mid inning replacement if down by 5 runs or more.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

You trust Webb?

I like his changeup.  I think we went to him way too often way too soon after we picked him up.  I will agree that he can be a bit wild, he's walked too many for my liking but he keeps the ball in the park. 

If they can knock the dust off Perez, I think they can do right by Webb.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You trust Webb?

I'd have him on the roster but more for lack of better alternatives. He's not bad but I'd have him in the tier below Cano, Coulombe, and Perez. Also Hall would be in that lower tier. I'm excited by what we've seen but don't trust him yet. 

Bautista is definitely the wild card and they sure look like they are trying to get him ready.  I think that means you really need to build a 27 man roster, because you never know if Bautista can go and if they use him and he breaks, someone has to be already prepared mentally.

That said, I think Bautista makes it if they think he is at least 50% likely to be ready.