Names from the back of the memory...

BaltimoreTerp

Oh and Mike Venafro who's from Takoma Park, Maryland and was a guest instructor at the winter baseball academy I went to headed by Brian Snyder who FYI is Brandon's dad. Hmmmm now that I think about it I could have known Brandon Snyder. We're the same age and graduated the same year though I went to Herndon and not Westfields.

Venafro! I remember taking lessons from him, too.

Snyder also had a guy working there as a guest who was a Twins farmhand, pretty big, stocky kid...don't think he ever made the majors though.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Venafro! I remember taking lessons from him, too.

Snyder also had a guy working there as a guest who was a Twins farmhand, pretty big, stocky kid...don't think he ever made the majors though.

Yeah nice guy. Not sure who the Twins farmhand could have been. I didn't realize Brandon was Brian Snyder's kid until I made the connection. There's another guy who I went to school with from elementary to high school and played basketball and baseball against that is a Cubs farm hand.

Yeah nice guy. Not sure who the Twins farmhand could have been. I didn't realize Brandon was Brian Snyder's kid until I made the connection. There's another guy who I went to school with from elementary to high school and played basketball and baseball against that is a Cubs farm hand.

Did you play hoops with Scottie Renolyds (I think that's his name--the guy at Villanova)?

Did you play hoops with Scottie Renolyds (I think that's his name--the guy at Villanova)?

Yeah you got the name right. I never played him or if I did it was in the two years I did summer basketball in Herndon. I lived in the part of Herndon that was really close to Reston so consequently I went to elementary school and did a lot of my little league and basketball playing in Reston. Not sure where Scottie's from in town but I think it was more what is called the "town of Herndon". Scottie is awesome though. He's a year younger than me and he was amazing as a freshman. The b-ball team went from good to great that year. They were great every year I was there. From waht I understand though the program's declined since then. Shame too because it really gave us a lot of respect around the area. Eddie Royal the Broncos WR is from Herndon I believe but like Snyder a Westfields guy so I probably saw him play whilie Westfields was pounding the guys I grew up with in football.

Dave Stieb conceivably could have won 4 Cy Young awards in a row had his team not been so terrible. Check out his 1982-85 stats. :eek:

EDIT: Actually, looking at Toronto's records, they were pretty good all of those years except 1982, they just didn't give the guy good run support.

Dave Stieb was the best pitcher of the 1980s

1980s pitchers ranked by ERA+

------

The top 5 AL ERAs in 1985:

[b]Stieb-TOR	2.48[/b]Leibrandt-KCR	2.69Saberhagen-KCR	2.87Key     -TOR	3.00Blyleven-TOT	3.16

The top 5 in AL innings in 1985:

Blyleven-TOT	293.7Boyd-BOS	272.3[b]Stieb-TOR	265.0[/b]Alexander-TOR	260.7Guidry-NYY	259.0

Top 5 in AL adjusted ERA+ in 1985:

[b]Stieb-TOR	172[/b]Leibrandt-KCR	154Saberhagen-KCR	145Key     -TOR	142Seaver-CHW	136

1985 leaderboard

Top 6 in 1985 AL Cy Young voting:

1 Bret Saberhagen KCR 23 127

2 Ron Guidry NYY 4 88

3 Bert Blyleven TOT 1 9

3 Dan Quisenberry KCR 0 9

5 Charlie Leibrandt KCR 0 7

6 Doyle Alexander TOR 0 5

lol

Archived