Names from the back of the memory...

BaltimoreTerp

Dave Stieb conceivably could have won 4 Cy Young awards in a row had his team not been so terrible. Check out his 1982-85 stats. :eek:

EDIT: Actually, looking at Toronto's records, they were pretty good all of those years except 1982, they just didn't give the guy good run support.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dave Stieb conceivably could have won 4 Cy Young awards in a row had his team not been so terrible. Check out his 1982-85 stats. :eek:

EDIT: Actually, looking at Toronto's records, they were pretty good all of those years except 1982, they just didn't give the guy good run support.

Rob Neyer had a good essay about Stieb in his Big Book of Baseball Lineups that came out 5-6 years back. Hmmm other names. Oh yeah Pete Schorek

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/schoupe01.shtml

I remember this guy because I remember my hometown paper would have the lists of locals who were in the bigs and this guy was one of them. I think he went to my mom's high school. Wiki said he was Cy Young runner up in 95. Hard to believe.

And someone mentioned Kelly Gruber. I remember him either being in Spring Training with us or making the team.

Rob Neyer had a good essay about Stieb in his Big Book of Baseball Lineups that came out 5-6 years back. Hmmm other names. Oh yeah Pete Schorek

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/schoupe01.shtml

I remember this guy because I remember my hometown paper would have the lists of locals who were in the bigs and this guy was one of them. I think he went to my mom's high school. Wiki said he was Cy Young runner up in 95. Hard to believe.

And someone mentioned Kelly Gruber. I remember him either being in Spring Training with us or making the team.

Wow. I don't remember that at all. And the Orioles were really good at bringing guys in at the end of their career: Andy Van Slyke; Joe Carter; Chris Sabo, Dwight Evans. I remember Gruber taking exception to Rickey Henderson's home run trot in the ALCS.

Wow. I don't remember that at all. And the Orioles were really good at bringing guys in at the end of their career: Andy Van Slyke; Joe Carter; Chris Sabo, Dwight Evans. I remember Gruber taking exception to Rickey Henderson's home run trot in the ALCS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Gruber

Yeah I remember Joe Carter ending hsi career with us and I remember thinking he'd be awesome for us which he wasn't. I remember a lot of this stuff because I have all the media guides from 1996-2002, 2005-present.

Yeah it does seem like we've had a lot of guys come here at the end of the line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Gruber

Yeah I remember Joe Carter ending hsi career with us and I remember thinking he'd be awesome for us which he wasn't. I remember a lot of this stuff because I have all the media guides from 1996-2002, 2005-present.

Yeah it does seem like we've had a lot of guys come here at the end of the line.

Joe Carter actually ended his career with the Giants in 41 games. But yeah, he was a total bust for us.

Kelly Gruber had a legendary mullet.

I'll add Jack Voigt to the list. That guy was great.

Rusty Greer was a great ballplayer. Hardnosed, really beloved in Texas...IIRC, when he had to hang em up due to all his various injuries it was pretty emotional for the fans and him.

Mickey Tettleton...loved that guy, was heartbroken when we traded him, still rooted for him when he was with Texas.

Candy Maldonado, the Candyman.

I was always enamored with Power Hitters, most likely for Fantasy Baseball reasons..Anyway, a few that come to mind are..

Henry Rodriguez

Cory Snyder

Bob Hamelin

Derek Bell

Ken Phelps

Dan Pasqua

I remember the Sports Illustrated cover with Snyder and Carter on the cover for the Indians.

Derek Bell has hit some hard times recently. I saw on the evening news a couple of months ago that he was caught with drugs.

Archived