Friday, September 22: Orioles face Guardians and Shane Bieber (just off the IL)

SteveA

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think you’re correct. They need a starting pitcher to step up pretty desperately. Bradish did but they could only muster 1 run in the Houston finale. 

They need a couple of long starts the next two days prior to the day off.

I was including the position players.

I think the team as a whole is wearing down.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I was including the position players.

I think the team as a whole is wearing down.

17 is a lot of consecutive games at the end of the year. But it’s most noticeable in the bullpen, I think. 

Santander slipped, the ball to Gunnar was 107 off the bat… both big errors but maybe not due to fatigue. 

Urias has been iffy defensively for a few weeks now. 

Minor stretches like these happen, but when they happen in a tight race they sting a lot more. You can only hope it’s a bit of a wake up call over the next two games. 

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

These are tired errors not pressure errors. 

most of the errors of late are coming from part time/split players.. such as Urias. 

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think you’re correct. They need a starting pitcher to step up pretty desperately. Bradish did but they could only muster 1 run in the Houston finale. 

They need a couple of long starts the next two days prior to the day off.

Won't be getting in long starts if the fielding can't make routine plays. 

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Truth. The game scorers now a days are terrible. Everything is a hit.

MLB wants to act like there is lots more hits.   So they stop calling errors as much.  Normal  MLB stuff.  Monkeying with the ball for homeruns or to have less homeruns.  The bases bigger.  Its all to have higher batting averages.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Hyde has a toasted bullpen.

How does Hyde handle it? 

Brings in every reliever he has to play platoon advantages. 

That's robotic managing. Tone-deaf managing. Numbers mean very little at this point. If one pitcher looks like he has it, you have to ride him until he doesn't.

3 minutes ago, fansince71 said:

Losing Bautista is really catching up to us. The whole BP is gassed. Everyone has more pressure on them  cause they know Mr. reliable isn’t there to finish the game anymore.

Mr. reliable blew five saves himself. Yes, it hurts, but it's not his absence is the biggest problem they have. They are just not very talented, that's all.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

That's robotic managing. Tone-deaf managing. Numbers mean very little at this point. If one pitcher looks like he has it, you have to ride him until he doesn't.

Elias and Sig must have some stats that they think prove that is not the way to win.  Maybe pitching four guys for one inning is the way to go.  But when all your starters go three or four innings and you have to pitch six guys in relief a  game and you are dumb enough to do it for two straight weeks you get what is coming to you.

3 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Elias and Sig must have some stats that they think prove that is not the way to win.  Maybe pitching four guys for one inning is the way to go.  But when all your starters go three or four innings and you have to pitch six guys in relief a  game and you are dumb enough to do it for two straight weeks you get what is coming to you.

You can throw a lot more innings throwing every 3 or 4 or 5 days instead of every day.  That's why starters throw 160 or 180 innings or more and very few relievers throw more than 80.  Hyde needs to utilize a couple of bulk inming guys to eat up lots of low leverage innings.  It's not a crime to have a 5-2 lead after 6 innings and use 1 reliever to pitch innings 7-9.

15 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

You can throw a lot more innings throwing every 3 or 4 or 5 days instead of every day.  That's why starters throw 160 or 180 innings or more and very few relievers throw more than 80.  Hyde needs to utilize a couple of bulk inming guys to eat up lots of low leverage innings.  It's not a crime to have a 5-2 lead after 6 innings and use 1 reliever to pitch innings 7-9.

Oh yes I totally agree.  At least two guys in the pen should be able to go three or four innings if needed.  But I do believe that Elias is a "max effort" guy.  The stats MUST show that limiting pitchers to one inning of 25 pitches or less and having them really go hard bears the best results to win a particular game.   It must show this or Elias wouldnt  adhere to this method so damn strongly.   I just think there has to be a happy medium between super modern and the older ways.  

Its rather funny that DL Hall is a converted starter this season and is not asked to do much more than one inning.  Possibly two.  Frankly GrayRod could go five innings and you could piggyback DL Hall for the last four innings.  Or at least three and have him give way to a closer in the ninth.    I think they dont do this because they dont trust DL Hall at all.  They think he may be able to throw gas for one inning and get out lefties.   I kind of doubt they try to make him a starter next year because they show no faith he can get people out more than one inning.