Saturday, Sept 23: Orioles at Guardians

SteveA

9 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Its the rain and wind.  Been out all day.  I am hoping orioles win and i can record the masn replay tonight.  If we lise forget it.

Again I will say it for all the ones who won’t.  A great managed game from the Manager of the Year, Brandon Hyde!

• Upvote 1

Just now, jdwilde1 said:

Sure, lefty who throws 99mph and a nice slider.  It’s just a question about consistent location.

Ideally, you want a closer who strikes people out. This is why Bautista was so good and Cano and Perez aren't strikeout pitchers. I guess you could play the potential matchups with them in the 8th and 9th, but I don't want a 7K/9 guy closing out every game. That's asking for trouble.

• Upvote 1

Since we finished our split Sunday with Tampa, we have played 6 road games and gone 3-3.   Tampa has played 5 home games gone 3-2.   They picked up a half game on us, but we reduced our magic number from 10 to 5.   Not a great 6 days, but certainly not a disaster.

I know some people think this has been some sort of horrible week.   And that it somehow proves we aren't good, or that we won't win the division, or there's no way we can compete in October.   Or that we will suddenly be swept for the first time in nearly 600 days because if you have a few bad games apparently it means you are doomed to continue having bad games, or some such mumbo jumbo.

If you had told me 6 days ago when Tampa left town that in the next 6 days we'd lose a half game in the standings to them but we'd knock 5 off the magic #, I would have said, well, that's not great but it's certainly not some type of disaster.   We are still in excellent position to win the division.

The sky isn't falling, no matter how much people will try to tell you it is.   The next time we lose the first game of the series and the usual suspects chime in about how it looks like we are going to be swept, 

• Upvote 4

Just now, baltfan said:

And make sure Cano gets regular work too. 

This too. I think you were onto something with your comment last night regarding this. Cano was used sparingly the first half of the month being saved for the ninth inning.

Cano is more used to pitching every 2 to 3 days. Keep him using him and have two or three pitchers that can be used in save situations.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Since we finished our split Sunday with Tampa, we have played 6 road games and gone 3-3.   Tampa has played 5 home games gone 3-2.   They picked up a half game on us, but we reduced our magic number from 10 to 5.   Not a great 6 days, but certainly not a disaster.

I know some people think this has been some sort of horrible week.   And that it somehow proves we aren't good, or that we won't win the division, or there's no way we can compete in October.   Or that we will suddenly be swept for the first time in nearly 600 days because if you have a few bad games apparently it means you are doomed to continue having bad games, or some such mumbo jumbo.

If you had told me 6 days ago when Tampa left town that in the next 6 days we'd lose a half game in the standings to them but we'd knock 5 off the magic #, I would have said, well, that's not great but it's certainly not some type of disaster.   We are still in excellent position to win the division.

The sky isn't falling, no matter how much people will try to tell you it is.   The next time we lose the first game of the series and the usual suspects chime in about how it looks like we are going to be swept, 

That is your second too sane post for the Game Thread.  I am not a moderator but I am warning you! 🤣