So, do we leave Felix OFF the post season roster?

Roy Firestone

Is it a given? Will the Orioles risk him in meaningless games this week to check his effectiveness and see if he's a viable option? I say no. But we dont know what he looks like in side sessions. Personally, I think if you add Means as a starter for post season, you MIGHT be able to put Gibson, Kremer, Wells and Flaherty in the pen...and wont miss Felix at all....I hope they make a decision on Felix..and if he has to get surgery...we could make a trade for a good closer..but it might take Santander and a prospect...Remember that Tony is a FA after next season...

There's no way anyone here can possibly answer this question, of course.  I suspect they will try to get him into a game this weekend, after the team has hopefully clinched, in case its disastrous.  And if we don't see him by Sunday, we won't see him again this year.

I also categorically disagree with this part of your statement @Roy Firestone:

you MIGHT be able to put Gibson, Kremer, Wells and Flaherty in the pen...and wont miss Felix at all

There are only a handful of pitchers in the entire league - and none on this roster - that we can move to the BP and have us not miss the Mountain.  No matter what they do and how well (or poorly) they do it, the Mountain will be missed.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Is it a given? Will the Orioles risk him in meaningless games this week to check his effectiveness and see if he's a viable option? I say no. But we dont know what he looks like in side sessions. Personally, I think if you add Means as a starter for post season, you MIGHT be able to put Gibson, Kremer, Wells and Flaherty in the pen...and wont miss Felix at all....I hope they make a decision on Felix..and if he has to get surgery...we could make a trade for a good closer..but it might take Santander and a prospect...Remember that Tony is a FA after next season...

I don’t foresee any scenario where “we won’t miss Felix at all”.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Or we could sign ex Oriole Josh Hader .. it’s only money lol 

• Upvote 1

I have a hard time believing that Bautista could come back from a ligament tear and be ready to throw a baseball 102 MPH by October.

Unless he demonstrates the ability to throw Stu Miller-type changeup after changeup, I don't think we'll see him in the postseason.

Of course, even though Miller was perfectly healthy in October 1966, we never saw him in that postseason, either.  The only Oriole pitchers who saw action in the World Series were McNally, Drabowsky, Palmer, and Bunker.

They were enough. 😀

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WillyM said:

I have a hard time believing that Bautista could come back from a ligament tear and be ready to throw a baseball 102 MPH by October.

Unless he demonstrates the ability to throw Stu Miller-type changeup after changeup, I don't think we'll see him in the postseason.

Of course, even though Miller was perfectly healthy in October 1966, we never saw him in that postseason, either.  The only Oriole pitchers who saw action in the World Series were McNally, Drabowsky, Palmer, and Bunker.

They were enough. 😀

My God, Im glad theres another Oriole fan who remembers Stu Miller....I also loved Dick Hall, and Pete Richert, Eddie Watt...not as much..

• Upvote 2

I think we downplay side sessions. I don’t need to see him throw an inning against the Nats to put him on the playoff roster. Especially with the rule that we can essentially IL a player during a series and replace him.

He’s got until Oct 7th to keep healing.  We get a huge roster for the playoffs. Plenty of room to keep him. Even if he can just air it out for 1 IP. 

9 hours ago, WillyM said:

They were enough. 😀

Obviously it's not 1966 any more, but there is a consideration here: Teams use fewer pitchers in the postseason. Last year's Astros had two guys on the World Series roster who didn't pitch at all (Hunter Brown, Will Smith). The Phils had three guys who only pitched a total of four innings of mopup in games where they were down 5+ runs.

In the ALCS the Astros only used 10 pitchers, Stanek and Brown only in low-leverage for less than two innings total. The Yanks 12, when they'd normally carry 13, and they lost every game so no starter went more than five innings.

The Orioles could probably have Bautista on the roster and even if he's not used it's not a huge deal.