So, do we leave Felix OFF the post season roster?

Roy Firestone

I kind of like the idea of him opening a game in the Boston series if he's up for it.     I think the test flight needs to be this week, or there is a lot more risk to the Club's championship probability to try the move.

Everything can be controlled timewise.    The back of rotation guys get a practice rep with a different deployment pattern they might get asked to do.

Better still if Bats get a big lead, but that outcome can't be assured.

18 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I kind of like the idea of him opening a game in the Boston series if he's up for it.     I think the test flight needs to be this week, or there is a lot more risk to the Club's championship probability to try the move.

Everything can be controlled timewise.    The back of rotation guys get a practice rep with a different deployment pattern they might get asked to do.

Better still if Bats get a big lead, but that outcome can't be assured.

I like the opener idea a lot.  If they plan to pitch him, AND we clinch ahead of the weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if that is what we saw.

26 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I would think they want to give him some game action that isn't that important before throwing him into a high pressure situation in the playoffs. Maybe the last series against Boston, especially if the AL East is wrapped up and we have a bye. 

I cannot imagine throwing him into a playoff game without any regular season action to see how he looks in real game conditions.  

• Upvote 2

Too much risk for the player, the team, and the team's reputation. Maybe he can't do more damage, but who can say for certain. And when he pitches, it will be in a high leverage postseason game, and he'll be rusty. It's also bad for the Orioles to risk, or perceive to risk,  the future of the best Closer in MLB. We're the darlings of baseball, we're the good guys -- let's not ruin that.

1 hour ago, CTFan said:

Too much risk for the player, the team, and the team's reputation. Maybe he can't do more damage, but who can say for certain. And when he pitches, it will be in a high leverage postseason game, and he'll be rusty. It's also bad for the Orioles to risk, or perceive to risk,  the future of the best Closer in MLB. We're the darlings of baseball, we're the good guys -- let's not ruin that.

Disagree. Bautista is a grown man. He can make a decision. He will be aware of the risk and can get any second opinion he wants.  I am sure he is on board. 

21 hours ago, Hallas said:

Assuming the O's aren't pitching him back-to-back, he's available for 3 out of 5 games in the ALDS, and 4 out of 7 games in the ALCS and WS.  His (likely) limited availability does throw a wrench in any plans involving putting him on the postseason roster.

If Bautista is deemed ready to pitch 3 of 5 games, I think he would be more valuable as the last guy on the ALDS roster than a fully-available Fuji or Irvin or whoever else is the marginal pitcher.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, CTFan said:

What is the risk for his future at this point?

Edited by dzorange