#5 will be Missed

Sammy Seagull

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was an O’s fan for about 11-12 years while Brooks was playing, and saw him make many amazing plays on the baseball field, as exemplified by the 1970 World Series highlights. I don’t think younger fans can fully appreciate how much better Brooks was than his peers at 3B from that era.   It was like watching someone from another planet.  

But my favorite memory of Brooks came 14 years after his career ended.  It was after the last game at Memorial Stadium.  The fans had been told to stick around for a surprise.  The video screen started playing the James Earl Jones speech about baseball from Field of Dreams, with the dramatic music, and after a pause….Brooks came running out of the dugout, in full uniform, glove on, and went into his crouch at 3B, pawing the infield dirt with his feet as he did all those years.  Every hair on my arm and the back of my neck was standing up, and the roar of the crowd was just deafening.  There’s never been a moment like that.  And after a time, Frank Robinson came out in full uniform and ran to RF, and then Palmer to the mound, and on and on until about 40 or 50 great former Orioles were out there.  It was amazing, but for that one moment, Brooks stood alone…as he should.  

If you’ve never seen it, or even if you have, watch the first few minutes of this. 

I mean, how can you not be romantic about baseball?

• Upvote 1

Growing up I wore the number 5 and played third base. That was in the 90’s, early 2000’s. It was passed down to me that he was Mr. Oriole. 

The background on my phone is my 1 year old son and I standing next to his statue. It’s been that since the picture was taken.

Edited by Rbiggs2525
  • Upvote 1

The Washington Post today gave Brooks royal treatment.  The front page of the paper has the iconic photo of Brooks leaping in the air towards McNally and Etchebarren, seemingly four feet off the ground.  The headline is “Brooks Robinson 1937-2023: The greatest at the hot corner was always an Oriole.”  The story continues on page 9 of the A section with a full page and two color photos under the header “‘Human Vacuum Cleaner’ scooped up 16 Gold Gloves, 2 rings.”

The entire top half of the front page of the Sports section is a photo of Brooks sprawled on the ground, holding the ball aloft after making a diving catch.  I think it’s from the 1970 World Series.  There are two stories underneath the photo: “Forever Brooks: Baltimore adored the Hall of Famer for his talent but loved him for his heart.”  The other is “On and off the field, his legacy is as good as gold for O’s fans.” Those stories continue on a full inside page: “Robinson’s big heart, dazzling glove will never be forgotten,” and “Charm City remembers the golden Oriole: ‘We knew him, and he was the best.’”

This is one of those days that I’m really happy I still get the print version of the newspaper.  I won’t be throwing this one away any time soon.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

About 15 years ago my parents and I went to this fundraiser for the baseball team at Washington College in Chestertown, MD.  For awhile they were doing this fundraiser event every year where they'd invite a Hall of Fame baseball player for an interview in front of an audience.  Then after, there's a lunch where you can get an autograph, picture with the player, etc.  I think they've also had Tom Seaver and Johnny Bench.  Anyway, the one year we went, it was Brooks.

He was great, everyone in the audience was truly delighted to be there but when we walked out of the auditorium somehow we walked out with him.  It was winter, the steps were icy and he made sure that we got down them safely.  Should have been the other way around but he insisted.

We went to the dining hall for the lunch and my parents and I were seated with these two guys who were friends and they'd brought their kids with them.  I don't think the kids really cared to be there or knew who Brooks Robinson was.

But the thing I'll never forget about that whole event outside of walking down the steps with Brooks Robinson is that these two guys...grown men, were all of a sudden little kids again.  They were so excited to be in the same room with Brooks Robinson and were nervous to go up to his table to ask him for an autograph.  And that's what Brooks was there for!  He was signing anything, everything, taking pictures, having a grand time.  But these two guys were in front of their childhood hero and couldn't believe it.  I remember one of them holding a baseball being like "Do you think he'll sign it?"  

I don't know if I'd feel that way if I saw Cal Ripken right now. 

• Upvote 1

Brooksie - by Joe Posnanski - JoeBlogs

Dad’s favorite ballplayer was born left-handed. Think about that for a minute: Brooks Robinson, the best who ever played the hot corner, was born with the one physical quality that should have prevented him from ever playing third base. All his life he would do everything else left-handed — he shot a rifle lefty, he played tennis and ping pong lefty, he signed autographs left-handed.

When Davey Johnson saw his hero sign an autograph left-handed, he decided to try writing left-handed too, hoping it would make him into the same sort of heavenly defender.

It did not. But how could it?

When Dad’s favorite ballplayer was in the second grade, he broke his left arm and collarbone in an accident. Neither Brooks Jr. nor his father, Brooks Sr., had time to wait for the injury to heal. There was baseball to play! So Brooks Sr. put a ball in his son’s right hand and taught him how to throw right-handed. He put a sawed-off broomstick in his right hand and taught him how to swing right-handed. By the time the injury did heal, Brooks Jr. was uninterested in relearning the game as a lefty.

And, anyway, lefties don’t play third base.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm just a little too young to have seen him play for the Orioles, but I did get to watch him making a diving grab in one of the Cracker Jack old timers games at RFK. Growing up he and Chuck Thompson were the TV commentators for the O's, so I certainly felt like I got to know him through that. Boy Howdy.

This is a tough one.

How was he as a commentator? I saw he did it from like 79 to 92 which meant he stopped doing that when he was only 55. Anyone have memories of him as a commentator? Why did he retire from that job so young or did they force him out?

I always liked him when he'd show up as a guest in the booth but I didn't become an Os fan until 2012 so I have no idea what he was as an actual commentator.

Also, does anyone know what his total salary earned was for the Orioles? It's unfair how little he made compared to the guys nowadays.

16 minutes ago, Rojo13 said:

How was he as a commentator? I saw he did it from like 79 to 92 which meant he stopped doing that when he was only 55. Anyone have memories of him as a commentator? Why did he retire from that job so young or did they force him out?

I always liked him when he'd show up as a guest in the booth but I didn't become an Os fan until 2012 so I have no idea what he was as an actual commentator.

Also, does anyone know what his total salary earned was for the Orioles? It's unfair how little he made compared to the guys nowadays.

Brooks pulled a whopping $856,000 out of the game over 23 years, or slightly more than MLB annual minimum these days.

BBRef usually has career earnings info at the bottom of a player's individual page.

44 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Brooks pulled a whopping $856,000 out of the game over 23 years, or slightly more than MLB annual minimum these days.

BBRef usually has career earnings info at the bottom of a player's individual page.

He made 100,000 in 1971 which is about the league minimum for today's MLB players at that time. Around 758k in today's dollars. It's not a lot of money, that didn't happen until free agency became a thing.

Speaking of retirement, for an all-time great, the exact circumstances of his playing retirement were abrupt.

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/08/22/archives/brooks-robinson-retires-as-oriole-player-at-40-brooks-robinson.html

Hearing him tell it on the postgame tribute last night, it was basically like they needed roster space for Dempsey back from injury in late August.

Pretty stark contrast to this era where Adam Wainwright or Miguel Cabrera get to do more or less whatever they feel like at the end of distinguished careers.

It must run in the 3B inner circle water, Mike Schmidt as well had a light switch flip "I'm done" kind of transition out of his playing career.

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Speaking of retirement, for an all-time great, the exact circumstances of his playing retirement were abrupt.

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/08/22/archives/brooks-robinson-retires-as-oriole-player-at-40-brooks-robinson.html

Hearing him tell it on the postgame tribute last night, it was basically like they needed roster space for Dempsey back from injury in late August.

Pretty stark contrast to this era where Adam Wainwright or Miguel Cabrera get to do more or less whatever they feel like at the end of distinguished careers.

It must run in the 3B inner circle water, Mike Schmidt as well had a light switch flip "I'm done" kind of transition out of his playing career.

If St. Louis was a good team this year, I doubt they'd run Wainwright out for 21 starts. The leash gets longer when the teams are awful.