Wednesday, September 27: Orioles go for season sweep of Nats and perhaps clinch the AL East

SteveA

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

The Red Sox are always disappointing. 

Assuming Tampa wins tonight and so do we, then the magic number is 1, right? And if we win tomorrow night no matter what, that’s the division, correct?

Yes Tamla won already so if we win tonight, the magic number is 1. 

Then if either we win tommorrow, or Tampa loses, we clinch the American League East Division Championship.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• For Norfolk, Cook has started 29 games at 1B with a .996 fpct. and 5 games each at LF, CF, RF.   He started one game at 3B and made an error and at lower levels played a decent amount of 2B.   I think he’s probably an emergency/last resort guy at 2B/3B and @Tony-OH seems skeptical of his outfield defense in general.  Saying all that, with a LH heavy hitting OF he has a decent shot as soon as next year, especially if Norby gets moved.  Norby, with the ability to play LF/RF/2B would probably be his chief competitor for a backup role.  Also depends on what they do with Hays.
    • Your definition of what we need and @Bemorewins definiton of what we need may be different.    Getting a #3 starter he feels confident as a game #3 starter in the playoffs.   Who, in his mind, is that pitcher?   Fedde will not require one of those guys.  Crochet might.
    • We do not have to give up Holliday, Basallo, or Mayo to get what we need.
    • So you think Elias will give up one of the top 3 prospects to get upgrades?
    • “Dramatics”? That’s an interesting way of framing my opinion. I promise you I am as calm and cool as a cucumber. There’s no “dramatics” going on here. As you know, numbers fluctuate during any given period of time in the season. Good/great players have bad/cold stretches and bad/terrible players have good stretches. IMO we do not possess the type of top end talent at the back end of the bullpen needed to win multiple rounds against the best opposition in October.  If you are confident in Cano/Kimbrel or worse in Vespi/Baker/Perez/etc getting Soto and Judge out in a big spot late in the game in Yankee stadium in October, that is fine. I am not.  Just as an observer of baseball, Holmes is a much better pitcher than any reliever that we have. I would be much more confident in his talent than any reliever that we have. Now if we had Felix that would be one thing. But this season we do not. And I would hate for a team as good as ours to be held back by not making the needed/necessary move(s) before we get into October.  IMO we did that last season (with the starting pitching) and it didn’t end well. And I acknowledge that everybody doesn’t think like me nor have the same championship expectations/aspirations. Some fans/posters here have stated as much and that they are happy if we have a winning team year after year or if we just make it into the tournament year after year, regardless of results when we get there. And that’s fine. That’s just not my desired outcome. The great thing about this board is that we don’t have to agree and are able to express our opinions.
    • That’s right. Great times are here and more ahead with this group. 
    • Over/under on the number of times we walk Judge and Soto in this series?   10?  Nobody else really worries me.  
  • Popular Contributors