Update Again Again: OPACY lease officially official, done and approved, for real this time

spleen1015

• 2 weeks later...

Been very quiet onthe lease front ,as we get about a month from the deadline. One year? Two year extension? Sign a long term lease? TBDAM.

Former Stadium Authority chair: Proposed lease with Orioles is a bad deal - Maryland Matters
https://www.marylandmatters.org/2023/11/20/former-msa-chair-proposed-lease-with-orioles-is-a-bad-deal/

Was planning on bumping this tomorrow and then doing a quasi regular countdown.  But now since it's in the forefront again.  I'll start today.

41 days and counting until the lease expires.

Anyone know if the front office still has the right to use the warehouse if the lease lapses?  Would Elias and all his staff get evicted?  Hopefully some local journalists inquire on some of these details.  I think some Baltimore sports fans might be curious to know.  Maybe they can rent a hotel somewhere and continue working.   Anyone know what the biggest Panera Bread location is in the Baltimore metro area?

Edited by Aglets
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Been very quiet onthe lease front ,as we get about a month from the deadline. One year? Two year extension? Sign a long term lease? TBDAM.

Former Stadium Authority chair: Proposed lease with Orioles is a bad deal - Maryland Matters
https://www.marylandmatters.org/2023/11/20/former-msa-chair-proposed-lease-with-orioles-is-a-bad-deal/

I’d bet my bottom dollar that they won’t get the long term deal done this year and will sign some shorter interim deal while this drags on.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If they sign a 1-2 year lease, I hope they grill the governor over it although we know they won’t.

Who are “they?”

Honestly I’d rather they signed a 1-2 year deal than sign a long term deal that gives away more than has been negotiated already.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d bet my bottom dollar that they won’t get the long term deal done this year and will sign some shorter interim deal while this drags on.  

That is the CUMINT and SIGINT  from the State and City employees.  But maybe underneath the Christmas tree or the seven day oil miracle will last at least thirty years and a long term extension will be signed. A miracle. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

From what I understood is some of the agreed upon items in the memorandum have to be approved by the legislature to proceed to a lease.  Since they don’t meet until January I can’t see how they can’t come up with some kind of extension until at least June when any legislation update is approved and signed by the Governor.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, accinfo said:

From what I understood is some of the agreed upon items in the memorandum have to be approved by the legislature to proceed to a lease.  Since they don’t meet until January I can’t see how they can’t come up with some kind of extension until at least June when any legislation update is approved and signed by the Governor.

The Ravens signed the lease and got quickly approved by the state on January 4th.

Technically the Orioles have been negotiating on a lease since at least sometime in 2021. Of course did not have an actual bill that grants all the money to fix up Camden Yards and now even around the stadium.

The Orioles’ lease was set to expire at the end of 2021, though the club had the option to extend that lease for an additional five years. The new agreement keeps the O’s at the ballpark through Dec. 31, 2023, per the Sun, with the team holding the right to exercise a one-time, five-year extension by Feb. 1, 2023

19 hours ago, accinfo said:

Possibly the Board of Public Works (Governor, Comptroller and Treasurer) but I doubt the legislature.  The General Assembly had to approve the $600 mil for stadium improvements.  Unless the property rights provisions require additional appropriations, the BPW approval may be all that is required.

Edited by NCRaven

It appears they Orioles and the State of MD may separate out the development rights portion of the memorandum they signed in order to possibly get a new lease signed by the end of the year.  https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-lease-development-rights-20231127-wdvni7x6cvanje7yblm6rp4m5y-story.html

As I suspected this development rights would have to be approved by the full legislature which can’t happen by the time this lease expires.  It would be nice to get this done by the New year.