Trevor Bauer

Yossarian

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

So the judge is under the impression that you're guilty until proven innocent?  Yeah, seems to be a lot of that going around lately. 

I don't have a law degree or anything, but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

So went ahead and broke out the vpn because it seems nobody has seen this video.  Watch this and then tell me about "smoke" and "fire."

P.S. As I said from the get go, I don't want Bauer here for multiple reasons.  That doesn't mean he wasn't done dirty, and is owed a lot of compensation.

you asked me if I would want him on the team - and I don't because I don't want a guy with multiple accusations of battery, DV, and sexual assault on my team. 

He can have his time in court - I'm not a judge. 

Eff him. 

Just now, Pickles said:

Because it's accurate information.  You object to accurate information?  What are you?  The lying female writer from the Athletic?

Accurate and completely irrelevant information. Overreact much? It was a simple question. I was just wondering why you chose to include it. You flying off the handle in response pretty much confirms my suspicions though. 

Just now, baltfan said:

The media tells on itself all of the time.  Fox is constantly telling on what it refers to as the MSM.  And the MSM tells on Fox etc... all of the time.  Can we stop pretending that Fox and other conservative news outlets are part of the media?

No politics.

Just now, dystopia said:

Accurate and completely irrelevant information. Overreact much? It was a simple question. I was just wondering why you chose to include it. You flying off the handle in response pretty much confirms my suspicions though. 

Sure thing.  LOL.

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Saw it on twitter this morning but I'm currently at work so can't use it, but the Athletic had a female writer write that Bauer had fractured his accuser's skull, despite the fact that they were in possession of  her medical report which clearly stated that her skull was not fractured.

Yeah, I am going to need the source on that one.  Randos say stuff on Twitter all of the time.

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

How is that politics?  It's not political to say that there are conservative and liberal outlets and both constantly report on the mistakes of the others.

I thought you were trying to say "conservative" media isn't "media."

I think there are some bipartisan things we should all agree on:

And the media being lying dogs of the intelligence agencies should be one of them. LOL.

I'm just trying to keep politics out of this before the conversation gets shut down.  That's all.  It's not a matter of the media being liberal or conservative; the issue is they lie, all the time, about everything.

Edited by Pickles

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

The media tells on itself all of the time.  Fox is constantly telling on what it refers to as the MSM.  And the MSM tells on Fox etc... all of the time.  Can we stop pretending that Fox and other conservative news outlets are part of the media?

Not sure why you are bringing conservative or whatever into this.

As a whole, all of the media sucks. I don’t care if it’s sports, left, right, whoever…it’s all terrible.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It's not even reactionary.  They are literally publishing FALSE information, knowing it is false, in order to advance a narrative.

The public lynching and depersoning of Trevor Bauer is the LEAST of their crimes.

Having never read any article that claimed to have an inside scoop on what happened, I think the media has been pretty fair with Bauer.  It’s just a fact of life that that if someone is accused of being abusive of women, some people will assume it’s true without waiting for the evidence to come in.  That’s not the media’s fault.   They wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t report the accusations.  They also reported in detail when the restraining order was denied, and when the prosecutors declined to charge Bauer, etc.  I don’t really know what you expect the media to do.  (Note: I have not read whatever article in the Athletic was referenced in this thread.  I’m just talking about the overall media coverage of the Bauer story.)*

The one missing piece of this story is the suspension by MLB and the subsequent decision of an independent arbitrator that the suspension was justified but was longer than appropriate.  We know those decisions were made, but the evidence and rationale aren’t public, presumably because the CBA doesn’t permit their publication.   I have no idea what those decisions say, or whether I’d agree with them or not.   But I’m pretty sure an arbitrator wouldn’t have upheld a suspension if there wasn’t significant evidence of a violation of the standards of conduct provided in the CBA/standard player contract.  

Edit - I’m now caught up on the Athletic article and lawsuit, which was settled several months back by the Athletic clarifying that they were reporting the woman’s allegation that she had a fractured skull, and didn’t intend to report that it was factual that her skull was fractured.  Pretty sloppy reporting by them on that issue.   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Allegations in complaints are generally more protected than normal speech and not subject to claims of defamation. There are allegations in complaints all of the time that prove to be wrong.  Did The Athletic have all of her records?  Maybe they had an ER record and she said that a subsequent appt showed that her skull was fractured?  Not saying it didn't happen, but if it wasn't true, Bauer demanded a retraction, and they had the medical records showing that it was false; even as a public figure he would have a viable defamation claim. 

Edited by baltfan
Clarification.

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I thought you were trying to say "conservative" media isn't "media."

I think there are some bipartisan things we should all agree on:

And the media being lying dogs of the intelligence agencies should be one of them. LOL.

I'm just trying to keep politics out of this before the conversation gets shut down.  That's all.  It's not a matter of the media being liberal or conservative; the issue is they lie, all the time, about everything.

Not at all.  I was saying that sometimes people say media and act like conservative media isn't part of it.  All of these big organizations are media companies.  

I won't comment on the rest because that is political.

Edited by baltfan

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Having never read any article that claimed to have an inside scoop on what happened, I think the media has been pretty fair with Bauer.  It’s just a fact of life that that if someone is accused of being abusive of women, some people will assume it’s true without waiting for the evidence to come in.  That’s not the media’s fault.   They wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t report the accusations.  They also reported in detail when the restraining order was denied, and when the prosecutors declined to charge Bauer, etc.  I don’t really know what you expect the media to do.  (Note: I have not read whatever article in the Athletic was referenced in this thread.  I’m just talking about the overall media coverage of the Bauer story.)

The one missing piece of this story is the suspension by MLB and the subsequent decision of an independent arbitrator that the suspension was justified but was longer than appropriate.  We know those decisions were made, but the evidence and rationale aren’t public, presumably because the CBA doesn’t permit their publication.   I have no idea what those decisions say, or whether I’d agree with them or not.   But I’m pretty sure an arbitrator wouldn’t have upheld a suspension if there wasn’t significant evidence of a violation of the standards of conduct provided in the CBA/standard player contract.  

Media/journalists reporting false information is worthy of criticism. Especially if they know it’s false. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not sure why you are bringing conservative or whatever into this.

As a whole, all of the media sucks. I don’t care if it’s sports, left, right, whoever…it’s all terrible.

I don't think anyone can disagree that conservative and liberal outlets are constantly reporting on the mistakes of the other.  So, my point was it isn't a credible statement to say that the media doesn't report on mistakes that it makes.