Game 1 Lineup Guesses

Aristotelian

Surprised this hasn't been a thread on this yet. Of course, we don't even know the rosters yet but we can guess the starting nine. 

Vs Jordan Montgomery, a LHP with fairly even splits.

C Adley

LF Hays

RF Santander

1B Mountcastle

SS Gunnar

DH Hicks

CF Mullins

2B Westburg

3B Ortiz

Going by matchups, Mateo is a consideration since Ramon does not have great splits vs LHP. Still, I am going with Westburg/Ortiz, with Ortiz in the 9 spot due to his reverse splits. 

Gunnar improved vs LHP but I'm still not liking his .210/.618 in a prime spot. I just don't think having him high in the order is a good idea in a playoff game, although we may regret batting him lower when it gets to the later innings. Sorry, Gunnar. I've got Hays batting second, although I am tempted to go with Hicks all of a sudden.

McCann could be a consideration but that would force Hicks to the bench. I'd look for him to maybe start a game later in the series if we are facing a LHP and have a lead, otherwise it's Adley C and Hicks DH vs LHP.

Anyone got a better lineup to win Game 1?

• Upvote 1

I'll be pretty shocked if Ortiz is on the roster. 

I also think they might not do a super heavy Right vs Left lineup, since Heaney may not be in the game more than a few innings. 

1. SS Henderson
  2. C Rutschman
  3. Rf Santander
  4. 1b Mountcastle
  5. Lf Hays
  6. DH Hicks
  7. Cf Mullins
  8. 2b Westburg
  9. 3b Urias
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I also think they might not do a super heavy Right vs Left lineup, since Heaney may not be in the game more than a few innings. 

1. SS Henderson
  2. C Rutschman
  3. Rf Santander
  4. 1b Mountcastle
  5. Lf Hays
  6. DH Hicks
  7. Cf Mullins
  8. 2b Westburg
  9. 3b Urias

I like the idea of DHing Hicks and then being able to flip him with O'Hearn or Kjerstad later in the game when we're up against a RHP. I'm honestly expecting to see Mateo start, but probably prefer Westburg + Urias. 

10 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

1. SS Henderson
  2. C Rutschman
  3. Rf Santander
  4. 1b Mountcastle
  5. Lf Hays
  6. DH Hicks
  7. Cf Mullins
  8. 2b Westburg
  9. 3b Urias

And I somehow missed it's Heaney. My lineup is all kinds of wrong, lol! Yeah, Heaney has slight reverse split so Gunnar at leadoff makes sense. Only change I would make from your lineup is flipping Hicks ahead of Hays to split up the RHB's. If they think Mountcastle is rusty, you could Hays/Mountcastle/Hicks. 

11 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I'm really curious to see if Hyde does platooning lineups or just plays the 9 best guys. No need to give anyone rest now.

The Os were top 10 vs lefties in terms of OpS. I’m guessing he sticks with what he did…but it does suck to potentially lose with your back ups.

Mateo is interesting. Do you want to play him and lose him when they lift him for a PHer and lose his speed late?

9 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I'm really curious to see if Hyde does platooning lineups or just plays the 9 best guys. No need to give anyone rest now.

The lineup is built around platoon advantages. That said I’m not sure Heaney goes long tomorrow. This year Heaney was worse vs LHH. Big question to me is which of Urias and Frazier start. I don’t think it’s a lock tomorrow Westburg starts either. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os were top 10 vs lefties in terms of OpS. I’m guessing he sticks with what he did…but it does suck to potentially lose with your back ups.

Mateo is interesting. Do you want to play him and lose him when they lift him for a PHer and lose his speed late?

I can’t see him starting tomorrow. Maybe I’m wrong. Heaney has only 2 starts in the last month. 

37 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

1. SS Henderson
  2. C Rutschman
  3. Rf Santander
  4. 1b Mountcastle
  5. Lf Hays
  6. DH Hicks
  7. Cf Mullins
  8. 2b Westburg
  9. 3b Urias

Solid lineup. I would not be surprised if Frazier starts either. 

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

LF Austin Hays

C Adley Rutschman

DH Anthony Santander

1B Ryan Mountcastle

SS Gunnar Henderson

RF Aaron Hicks

CF Cedric Mullins

2B Jordan Westburg

3B Ramon Urias

This looks like a winner to me unless they go with Mateo at SS and keep Urias out. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Surprised this hasn't been a thread on this yet. Of course, we don't even know the rosters yet but we can guess the starting nine. 

Vs Jordan Montgomery, a LHP with fairly even splits.

C Adley

LF Hays

RF Santander

1B Mountcastle

SS Gunnar

DH Hicks

CF Mullins

2B Westburg

3B Ortiz

Going by matchups, Mateo is a consideration since Ramon does not have great splits vs LHP. Still, I am going with Westburg/Ortiz, with Ortiz in the 9 spot due to his reverse splits. 

Gunnar improved vs LHP but I'm still not liking his .210/.618 in a prime spot. I just don't think having him high in the order is a good idea in a playoff game, although we may regret batting him lower when it gets to the later innings. Sorry, Gunnar. I've got Hays batting second, although I am tempted to go with Hicks all of a sudden.

McCann could be a consideration but that would force Hicks to the bench. I'd look for him to maybe start a game later in the series if we are facing a LHP and have a lead, otherwise it's Adley C and Hicks DH vs LHP.

Anyone got a better lineup to win Game 1?

Spoiler Alert ….I’ll bet the ranch Ortiz isn’t on the roster.