Can We Talk About Next Year Now?

Bahama O's Fan

21 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

He doesn't have to "run at a loss" or "break even" not to have the second lowest payroll in the sport. For goodness sake he is being outspent by the Rockies, Pirates, Reds, Guardians, Rays, Brewers, etc.

He received somewhere between 250 and 300 million in revenues last offseason alone. He has some money to spend if he truly wants to win. If not, I think it will be kind of evident and we will get more of the useless signings/acquisitions and then crying about being poor (as a billionaire).  

I agree there is more to be spent and he needs to step up in the offseason this year at least for pitching.  You can argue to wait on adding a bat while you try to sort out what you have given the amount of top prospects at AAA

Just now, baltfan said:

I agree there is more to be spent and he needs to step up in the offseason this year at least for pitching.  You can argue to wait on adding a bat while you try to sort out what you have given the amount of top prospects at AAA

Why should they need more time to sort out what they have?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rodriguez's career high in innings pitched before this year was 103.

He threw 163 regular season innings this year.

This is true but Grayson has never been hurt except a lat strain.  Hall has been hurt for three straight years.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Why should they need more time to sort out what they have?

Because some guys don't perform like you would think in the majors.  It might turn out that Ortiz is better than Westburg or Norby is better than both.  Bring them up and see what you have.  Holliday still has things to work on.  

Just now, baltfan said:

Because some guys don't perform like you would think in the majors.  It might turn out that Ortiz is better than Westburg or Norby is better than both.  Bring them up and see what you have.  Holliday still has things to work on.  

You trade a couple of those guys for someone that you know is good and let someone else worry about sorting out if they are good or not.

Just now, baltfan said:

That's what they should have been doing the past three seasons.

Instead we got Frazier.

They should be past the point where they are seeing what they got.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Instead we got Frazier.

If they hadn't have had Frazier, they might not have won the East. They even could have missed the playoffs.  Yes, I know by WAR you can't say the latter, but it's folly to pretend that you know the psychological effect of certain players being present vs others especially a guy like Frazier who had a lot of clutch hits especially early in the season that helped build the confidence of this team.  

It's funny that earlier you said you would sell the team if you owned it because you are just an average joe, but when it comes time to decide whether the Orioles should have signed Frazier you consider yourself an expert vs Elias.  I imagine you actually would be better equipped given your life experience to pick a GM vs. players.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Instead we got Frazier.

Putting aside the coulda shoulda of the past, they're still facing the challenge of battle-testing the prospects at the MLB level. Look how long it took Gunnar to get rolling. Of the rest, Westburg had the longest look and we still haven't seen his power. Stowers, up and down without sustained success. Cowser, a fair trial and it never (yet) clicked. It would be nice to experience our own Evan Carter or Corbin Carroll for a change. Is that Kjerstad? Can Norby be that guy? Point is, we still don't know what we have in the young talent pipeline unless we risk major playing time for them in Baltimore. Which compromises the win now position we're at already. Quite the puzzle for Elias to continue figuring out. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So has Wells right?

Honestly you should have backup plans in place for all your starters (those plans will overlap).

They are trying to win.  Hall needs a healthy season.  He can be a tremendous value out of the pen where there is a need.  You can always try to start him the year after if necessary.  Hall reminds me of Arthur Rhodes who also was a guy that coming through the minors the thought was to try to start him.

10 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Holliday is better than all of them (Ortiz, Norby, Westburg) right now. If he is going to play 2B what does he have to work on? He is a superior hitter to Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby right now.

1 minute ago, now said:

Putting aside the coulda shoulda of the past, they're still facing the challenge of battle-testing the prospects at the MLB level. Look how long it took Gunnar to get rolling. Of the rest, Westburg had the longest look and we still haven't seen his power. Stowers, up and down without sustained success. Cowser, a fair trial and it never (yet) clicked. It would be nice to experience our own Evan Carter or Corbin Carroll for a change. Is that Kjerstad? Can Norby be that guy? Point is, we still don't know what we have in the young talent pipeline unless we risk major playing time for them in Baltimore. Which compromises the win now position we're at already. Quite the puzzle for Elias to continue figuring out. 

Gunnar is our Carter or Carroll. And let's not forget Carter has barely played a month.  Guys get hot for a month all of the time.

Just now, baltfan said:

If they hadn't have had Frazier, they might not have won the East. They even could have missed the playoffs.  Yes, I know by WAR you can't say the latter, but it's folly to pretend that you know the psychological effect of certain players being present vs others especially a guy like Frazier who had a lot of clutch hits especially early in the season that helped build the confidence of this team.  

It's funny that earlier you said you would sell the team if you owned it because you are just an average joe, but when it comes time to decide whether the Orioles should have signed Frazier you consider yourself an expert vs Elias.  I imagine you actually would be better equipped given your life experience to pick a GM vs. players.  

And maybe they would had Ortiz on the roster and he would have won them game 1?

Two can play this game.

You flatter me but I know more about baseball than I do navigating a billion dollar business.

Maybe if I had grown up in that environment and had folks that had knowledge I lacked that I could trust....

But I'd probably get taken advantage of pretty quickly.