Can We Talk About Next Year Now?

Bahama O's Fan

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

JD Martinez is a good guy to target. We’d have to be willing to spend and make room for him. However, he could give us a level of RH hitter that we don’t have. 

We do need a professional hitter in the middle of the lineup. High OPS, low K %

A guy like Jose Ramirez would be nice, but probably too expensive for too long and numbers dropping off a bit.

11 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

The thing is those kind of guys have a limited ceiling. They just aren’t the kind of players who are difference makers in October, which is what we need. 

IMO we don’t need to rinse and repeat the approach from this year as it is most probable to get similar disappointing results in the end.

They won 101 games & the AL East last year.   You have unrealistic expectations if that’s a disappointment.  They will continue to do what has brought them incredible success.  To suggest they should do different is odd.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

We do need a professional hitter in the middle of the lineup. High OPS, low K %

A guy like Jose Ramirez would be nice, but probably too expensive for too long and numbers dropping off a bit.

I thought about Ramirez as a target when the O's were playing Cleveland. I'm not sure what it would take but he'd be a good get. I am also a little conflicted about the direction the team should go. The regular season created such high expectations for the playoffs but, were they realistic.? If not for the 101 wins, I would have been happy to make the playoffs even with an early departure. I would have been happy to be patient and let the younger players grow and see the next wave of rookies filtered in. But, now I feel a greater sense of urgency to make some moves that may or may not work out. I am liking @Sports Guy Robert trade more and more. 

I am a big Westburg fan. Overall, I was happy with his performance this year but I was greatly disappointed in his lack of power. His power potential as a second baseman is what makes him such a good prospect. without the power, not so much. 

1 minute ago, MCO'sFan said:

I am a big Westburg fan. Overall, I was happy with his performance this year but I was greatly disappointed in his lack of power. His power potential as a second baseman is what makes him such a good prospect. without the power, not so much. 

25% K rate too high. His exit velocity was still there. Seems like his power numbers should improve.

October is all about matchups. The AL has a tough road. We’re behind every playoff contender in front line SP. Snell would change that. We would just have to coddle him during the regular season. Use Irvin in matchups, especially at home.

Snell, Bradish, Means, Grayson, Kremer, (Irvin 15ish starts). 

Snell and Means in home playoff games. 

Snell as an ACE is a difference maker. Holliday as a true leadoff is a difference maker. 

1. Holliday L 2B

2. Adley S C

3. Gunnar L SS

4. Santander S RF

5. Mountcastle R 1B

6. O’Hearn L DH

7. Hays R LF

8. Mullins L CF

9. Westburg R 3B

Holliday will rack up enough across the board stats to win ROY and the first rd pick. 

38 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Snell as an ACE is a difference maker. Holliday as a true leadoff is a difference maker. 

1. Holliday L 2B

2. Adley S C

3. Gunnar L SS

4. Santander S RF

5. Mountcastle R 1B

6. O’Hearn L DH

7. Hays R LF

8. Mullins L CF

9. Westburg R 3B

Holliday will rack up enough across the board stats to win ROY and the first rd pick. 

I’m as big a fan of Snell as any one in this board. Any deal longer than 4 years is way too long for Snell and even 4 years is probably a year too long.

Snell is a beast. He is about to win his second CY award. But the injuries and inability to go deep into games lowers his contract ceiling for me.

I don’t really care about the money as much as the years.  He has been on a cheap contract for a while, so you know he wants to cash out.

Im guessing he gets 5 or 6 years at 30ishM a year.

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

They won 101 games & the AL East last year.   You have unrealistic expectations if that’s a disappointment.  They will continue to do what has brought them incredible success.  To suggest they should do different is odd.  

Where did I say that the regular season was a disappointment? I believe that I said it was incredible. What I said was how the season ended was disappointing. You find it “odd” that I am disappointed that we got swept because our pitching wasn’t up to par and I believe that we should upgrade our roster? Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

JD Martinez is a good guy to target. We’d have to be willing to spend and make room for him. However, he could give us a level of RH hitter that we don’t have. 

I absolutely love the fit of JD Martinez. Veteran hitter who is still very productive and has lots of post season experience. Only problem is we seem to love to DH Adley a lot, so with Martinez we would not likely have that luxury.

22 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Where did I say that the regular season was a disappointment? I believe that I said it was incredible. What I said was how the season ended was disappointing. You find it “odd” that I am disappointed that we got swept because our pitching wasn’t up to par and I believe that we should upgrade our roster? Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying. 

You said you were  disappointed with ten results at the end of the season….The process & results were fantastic, they got unlucky in a short series.  Why would  they change the strategy that won them 101 games?  Playoffs are a crap shoot.  The roster will be upgraded with minor FA signings, minor trades, promoting AAA players, and the improvement of players already on the roster…..just like they did last year.  

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

You said you were  disappointed with ten results at the end of the season….The process & results were fantastic, they got unlucky in a short series.  Why would  they change the strategy that won them 101 games?  Playoffs are a crap shoot.  The roster will be upgraded with minor FA signings, minor trades, promoting AAA players, and the improvement of players already on the roster…..just like they did last year.  

Right, but let them talk about Snell and whoever so they can get through the winter months.   lol

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

October is all about matchups. The AL has a tough road. We’re behind every playoff contender in front line SP. Snell would change that. We would just have to coddle him during the regular season. Use Irvin in matchups, especially at home.

Snell, Bradish, Means, Grayson, Kremer, (Irvin 15ish starts). 

Snell and Means in home playoff games. 

Are we, though?

https://twitter.com/NathanSRuiz/status/1708571945292145109?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1708571945292145109|twgr^074e6b308aae19249c520469ab8af7d9beb57427|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.orioleshangout.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fx.com%2Fnathansruiz%2Fstatus%2F1708571945292145109%3Fs%3D4626t%3DG3On-_LleGmZce-r3ClVZA

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Right, but let them talk about Snell and whoever so they can get through the winter months.   lol

I mean, I get it.  It’s a message board and everyone can dream a little bit.  But, I just don’t understand grasping at pipe dreams that are a direct contradiction of the teams modus operandi.  

I also don’t know who we could legitimately target that would have a chance to start a playoff game over Bradish and GRod.  I think trying to go for a #3 (a Gibson upgrade) is likely what they will & should do.  My guess is that person comes via trade and that person is not on anyone’s radar.