Possible trade for Carson Whisenhunt

OriolesMagic83

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Was Caminero regarded as a high prospect comparable to Whisenhunt? I still say this is an exception that proves the rule. Good find though.

I think Caminero when he was traded would have been like Basallo early last year.  He would have been looked as someone with a lot of promise, but it's too early to tell if he'll amount to anything. 

17 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

But wouldn't he be a great fit for a rebuilding team? And wouldn't that team prefer to trade a veteran MLB piece? 

Absolutely he could. For me though, a vet would either be in the pen, rotation, or CF. I want to see the young guys, with nothing to prove, play at the big league level. Not all at once mind you, but they to play. 

47 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Absolutely he could. For me though, a vet would either be in the pen, rotation, or CF. I want to see the young guys, with nothing to prove, play at the big league level. Not all at once mind you, but they to play. 

I don't disagree, but so far Elias's MO has been to keep vets - and even bring in free agents (!) like Frazier and Hicks - to allow the new guys to be worked in, while avoiding long term commitments. Trading a key guy like Santander or Hays would be a pretty big pivot, although consistent with the "Tampa model". It might happen, and I'm not opposed to it, but I can also see them both staying until we can be reasonably confident that the young guys will be upgrades. If I had to guess, I think we (a) cut it out with the Frazier/Hicks types blocking prospects and (b) get rid of the most expendable guys first (Urias, O'Hearn, Mateo). That would clear some AB's for rookies while still giving us protection against the rookies crashing and burning. 

16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Part of the reason Whisenhunts innings were so low is because he went down with an elbow sprain in July and missed the rest of the season.

I read an article that he is mostly recovered from that and will be ready for a normal spring training.  San Fran also commonly pitches starters early in their career 3 or at least 4 innings.  It is extreme even when compared to the O's light load on minor league starters.

I don't understand what point is trying to be made.  Are you saying that, because prospect for prospect trades not beingSOP through MLB in the past, it shouldn't be attempted now? Are you saying, as a theoretical scenario, that if offered Skenes for Norby and Mayo, that a trade like this shouldn't be completed just because it's not how the business of MLB works?