Jorge Mateo. We’ll always have April 2023.

RZNJ

Sure, we know bad players have hot streaks and good players have awful streaks but Mateo went from great to awful like someone shut off the faucet and never turned it back on again.

April - 23 games. 25 hits. 5 doubles. 0 triples, 6 homers.  10 stolen bases.  83 PA.   6 walks.  12 strikeouts.

After - 93 games. 44 hits. 9 doubles, 2 triples, 1 homer.  22 stolen bases.  267 PA.  16 walks.  70 strikeouts.

He was quite the story for one month.   

Edited by RZNJ

• RZNJ changed the title to Jorge Mateo. We’ll always have April 2023.
15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It was the most dramatic one-month dropoff I’ve ever witnessed.  1.062 OPS in March/April, .316 in May.  Mind boggling.  

That really was shocking but seeing his OPS drop dramatically and end up looking like his normal OPS, by seasons end, wasn’t surprising at all.

Edited by Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Only thing that comes to mind was Beckham going 530/1062/603 back in 2017 and that isn't even close.

.316 is unfathomably bad.  Mountcastle has had a couple of 400+ point drops from one month to another, but 700+ is bonkers.  Obviously, nobody expected Mateo to post a 1.000 OPS, but it’s just hard to imagine how anyone goes from being that hot to that cold.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That really was shocking but seeing his OPS drop dramatically and end up looking like his normal OPS, by seasons end, wasn’t surprising at all.

I agree for the most part.  I certainly expected, on April 30, that Mateo would beat his 2022 OPS by a solid margin.  I remember doing some calculations of what he’d have to do the rest of the season to finish at various levels, and the bar wasn’t very high due to the hesf start he had.  But he managed to get under it.