Kiley on Os offseason

Sports Guy

14 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Last year, the O's were essentially shamed with the payroll publications during the FA signing period.  Same story at the trade deadline.  Will this year's hot stove be any different?  Nah...  Not until we meet their moral standard of payroll.  There's a zealousness to journalism that stirs emotions and imaginations driving clicks and hysteria.  Whenever I read "should" (here or anywhere) I always discount it as a moral appeal.  Maybe it's true,  maybe it's not.  But there's a standard they want to see in place.

I don't think they should (in either sense of the word) sign 2 SPs.  Only 1 SP of the #2/3 variety should be signed.  They should sign 2 good RPs though.

This is where my hopes lie as well. The one starter should be a guy you think can start a playoff game ala Gray, and then try to have a great bullpen. 

A rotation of Bradish, Gray, GRod, Means, Kremer is really solid.

14 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Last year, the O's were essentially shamed with the payroll publications during the FA signing period.  Same story at the trade deadline.  Will this year's hot stove be any different?  Nah...  Not until we meet their moral standard of payroll.  There's a zealousness to journalism that stirs emotions and imaginations driving clicks and hysteria.  Whenever I read "should" (here or anywhere) I always discount it as a moral appeal.  Maybe it's true,  maybe it's not.  But there's a standard they want to see in place.

I don't think they should (in either sense of the word) sign 2 SPs.  Only 1 SP of the #2/3 variety should be signed.  They should sign 2 good RPs though.

Someone like Lugo makes sense if the price isn’t crazy. You can use him out of the bullpen, but he can make some starts if needed. Elias talked about signing someone with closing experience, and I hope that doesn’t mean Kimbrel or Robertson. 

23 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I like Hicks (the RP) as an experienced power arm at the back of the BP. Not sure I go 4 years but $10-12 per for 3 years would stabilize that group. Gotta believe Felix will need at least some of 2025 to figure out his new right UCL.

Can someone please tell me what’s so good about Jordan Hicks.  For 2/3 of last year he had a 1.5 WHIP with the Cardinals.   He was 3-9 last year and I saw him lob a ball 10 feet over Goldys head on as routine a comebacker as you could have.  Ok, he throws 100 but there’s no career to this point that says he’s a 10M per year reliever.

I put this play right up there with the McKenna drop.  Probably worse.

Edited by RZNJ

25 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I like Hicks (the RP) as an experienced power arm at the back of the BP. Not sure I go 4 years but $10-12 per for 3 years would stabilize that group. Gotta believe Felix will need at least some of 2025 to figure out his new right UCL.

Stephenson is a better target…although I’m not giving him 4/36 like MLBTR thinks he’s getting (I don’t think he’s getting that).

I would be ecstatic if the Orioles signed one SP and one RP amongst the group referenced. There's a case to be made that they should sign 2 SP, but to me, in that case, it should be someone like Gray or E-Rod and then someone on a minor league deal that could be stashed in AAA (maybe with a June opt out) to provide depth and allow Povich and McDermott a couple months before they're the "next man up". 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Can someone please tell me what’s so good about Jordan Hicks.  For 2/3 of last year he had a 1.5 WHIP with the Cardinals.   He was 3-9 last year and I saw him lob a ball 10 feet over Goldys head on as routine a comebacker as you could have.  Ok, he throws 100 but there’s no career to this point that says he’s a 10M per year reliever.

I put this play right up there with the McKenna drop.  Probably worse.

The idea for me is to get a guy with closer stuff without having to pay closer money. Hard to pass up a 100+ sinker. His numbers last year are interesting. Overall 11 K/9, 4 BB/9, but dramatic split between TOR  (8 K/9, 3 BB/9) and STL (12.7 K/9 with 5+ BB/9). Appears TOR had him take a more dialed back approach? The times I saw him pitch against us he passed the eye test. Still, BB/9 are concerning and I agree we should not overpay in salary or years. 

He has only one career error which it looks like you found. Not sure what to do with that, it certainly looks bad! 

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2023 at 2:58 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Anyway, I'm glad to see expectations tempered around here heading into this offseason.  I agree that the Orioles SHOULD sign a starter or two (and good ones, I want Sonny Gray, for example) but I don't think that's going to happen.  I also want to see more bullpen pieces added.

I'm expecting another low key offseason with middling moves and some head scratchers.   

Me too.   I expect not much.   The problem is other teams will want them as well and we have yet to see Angelos win any bidding contest.

Edited by Gurgi

21 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

The idea for me is to get a guy with closer stuff without having to pay closer money. Hard to pass up a 100+ sinker. His numbers last year are interesting. Overall 11 K/9, 4 BB/9, but dramatic split between TOR  (8 K/9, 3 BB/9) and STL (12.7 K/9 with 5+ BB/9). Appears TOR had him take a more dialed back approach? The times I saw him pitch against us he passed the eye test. Still, BB/9 are concerning and I agree we should not overpay in salary or years. 

He has only one career error which it looks like you found. Not sure what to do with that, it certainly looks bad! 

Sounds like Fuji

Motto for next year - FIX FUGI & FLY - 😄 Course that means sign him again first. But, Fugi should be relatively cheap and JA is cheap so.......... Plus, WE DO NEED PITCHING and I have no idea the direction we will go nor am I holding my breath. Some interesting ideas. Sorry, got to go get my coffee.

Hicks is interesting.

His statcast numbers are really good, so that is something to build on. The K rate numbers over his career have been good but not as good as you would think. His swingstr% numbers have been very meh and last year with Toronto they weren’t good at all.

In Toronto, he threw strikes at a rate of 63.5%, whereas the rest of his career has been closer to 60%.

The lack of missed bats and strikes thrown overall is contributing to a lower K rate and a higher BB rate. To me, that’s the key. Can you get him to miss more bats and throw more strikes. Toronto was successful doing one of those but not both.

Its not unusual to see relievers blossom as they get older, so I think there is upside there for him to be more but I can’t see investing a 4 year deal in him.

2 years with an option for a 3rd year that kicks in if he hits a certain number of appearances seems to be the right deal to give him.  I’m guessing someone will go more and I’m good with that.

If you are going to spend 10M and/or multiple years on a reliever you get someone who has actually proven they can be good not someone you hope can be good.   Hicks top FWar year (1.1) was last year.  Before that his best was .5.    He throws 100 and is ok.   If you expect him to be really good, then good luck.