Bowden: Burnes potential suitors including Os

Sports Guy

If Milwaukee wants to compete this year, they are going to need Burnes. I feel like to trade for Burnes, we're probably going to have to give them a deal that convinces them to start a quick rebuild

Can we get interesting and see something like Burnes, Devin Williams, and Yelich for Prospects and Salary Relief?

Yelich has 5 years left on his contract, and his 3.6 WAR would have been 4th best on the O's last year. I feel like we could give the Brewers a lighter Prospect load by taking that Yelich contract though. And if he can average 3-4 WAR for the next 3 seasons or so, I think its not a bad risk. He is 26 million a year; its a lot, but we have payroll room. If Yelich can give us quality ABs at RF/LF and DH, it could make us better as he is an OBP guy, his swing may play well in Camden Yards, and he does add 18 games across 3 Postseasons of experience too.

I think Kjerstad, Ortiz, Norby, Creed Williams, Povich, Stowers, Fabian and Baumler

For

1 Year of Burnes, 2 Years of Williams, and 5 Years of Yelich is fair

You could probably add a few more prospects if you want the Brewers to take some of Yelich's money

4 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

If Milwaukee wants to compete this year, they are going to need Burnes. I feel like to trade for Burnes, we're probably going to have to give them a deal that convinces them to start a quick rebuild

Can we get interesting and see something like Burnes, Devin Williams, and Yelich for Prospects and Salary Relief?

Yelich has 5 years left on his contract, and his 3.6 WAR would have been 4th best on the O's last year. I feel like we could give the Brewers a lighter Prospect load by taking that Yelich contract though. And if he can average 3-4 WAR for the next 3 seasons or so, I think its not a bad risk. He is 26 million a year; its a lot, but we have payroll room. If Yelich can give us quality ABs at RF/LF and DH, it could make us better as he is an OBP guy, his swing may play well in Camden Yards, and he does add 18 games across 3 Postseasons of experience too.

I think Kjerstad, Ortiz, Norby, Creed Williams, Povich, Stowers, Fabian and Baumler

For

You could probably add a few more prospects if you want the Brewers to take some of Yelich's money

Hell to the No!

23 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

For

How many more prospects?  You are already trading 8 prospects in this deal.

21 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

How many more prospects?  You are already trading 8 prospects in this deal.

But I feel like they are lesser prospects than what they would be asking for. More of a quantity over quality.

As far as Yelich, he fell off from his MVP seasons, but the past couple seasons have still been a better version of Markakis.

Again, I'd rather not trade for Yellich, but if you want Burnes, your going to have to convince Milwaukee to rebuild with a can't turn down trade like this. If Milwaukee wants to win this year, they will have to keep Burnes

On 11/15/2023 at 11:15 PM, ScGO's said:

What are the Brewers looking to do next season? Rebuild or compete?

If they are trying to compete, they need offense. Perhaps the trade includes a Santander, Mountcastle, Hays, and/or Mullins? 

I also think the O's need Devin Williams. Again, what are the Brewers trying to do next year though?

If they are trying to rebuild, what prospects bag Burnes? Williams? Both?

Ortiz, Westburg, Cowser, Povich, Beavers, McDermott could get us both

I completely agree with trying to swing this trade. Makes the most sense for us, but I would try to include either Hayes or Mountcastle with a couple of prospects, as they are much easier to replace given our depth. This solves two big needs for us and we have the prospects they should covet.  I believe Williams has two years left. 

On 11/15/2023 at 11:40 AM, Tony-OH said:

You only give up that much if you think Burnes is the final piece of your World Series puzzle, and even then, I think you need him for at least two years for that return. 

Mayo is one of the three guys I would not move unless I was blown away by an offer. 

I'd trade Ortiz, McDermott, and say a guy like Haskin or even a wild card like Nunez for him though.

Prospects I like too much to be able to let go in a trade:

Jackson Holliday

Heston Kjerstad 

Colby Mayo

Jordan Westburg 

DL Hall / Grayson Rodriguez/ Gunnar Henderson etc

Beyond that, there's others that I like alot (like Basallo, Fabian, & Povich) but I could be persuaded to let them go for a player of Burnes caliber if the  deal is right. Realistically, we could/should probably include Westburg in that bunch, but I favor him too much to keep him off of my favorites list. 

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Prospects I like too much to be able to let go in a trade:

Jackson Holliday

Heston Kjerstad 

Colby Mayo

Jordan Westburg 

DL Hall / Grayson Rodriguez/ Gunnar Henderson etc

Beyond that, there's others that I like alot (like Basallo, Fabian, & Povich) but I could be persuaded to let them go for a player of Burnes caliber if the  deal is right. Realistically, we could/should probably include Westburg in that bunch, but I favor him too much to keep him off of my favorites list. 

Basallo has really got to be on that list of prospects you like too much to be able to let go in a trade. Theres' no doubt who you trade between him and Westburg...or him and Kjerstad or Hall even, and I'm a huge fan of both of those. 

9 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Basallo has really got to be on that list of prospects you like too much to be able to let go in a trade. Theres' no doubt who you trade between him and Westburg...or him and Kjerstad or Hall even, and I'm a huge fan of both of those. 

Agreed..Basallo is a no brainer must keep over some of those names.

I just don’t see any player available that should even remotely make us think about trading our top 3 prospects.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I can't imagine they would do Burnes and Williams for less than either Holliday or Mayo and Basallo. Someone will offer a Mayo level player at least for Burnes and probably close to that for two years of Williams.

I doubt they get a top 20ish prospect for 1 year of Burnes. I greatly question someone doing it for Williams but given the emphasis on bullpens, maybe.

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I doubt they get a top 20ish prospect for 1 year of Burnes. I greatly question someone doing it for Williams but given the emphasis on bullpens, maybe.

The Reds got a top 20 guy plus a top 100 for 1+ of Castillo. If the Brewers are on the fence about rebuild, they may prefer to wait til the trade deadline if they can't get an overpay now. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The Reds got a top 20 guy plus a top 100 for 1+ of Castillo. If the Brewers are on the fence about rebuild, they may prefer to wait til the trade deadline if they can't get an overpay now. 

Right, 1+ and it was at the deadline, which is completely different to the offseason.

Burnes has also seen his numbers decline the last few years.

Look at the consensus top 20 or so guys..who is getting traded?

Will the Red Sox be really desperate and deal Mayer? I don’t disagree that it’s possible they are really dumb.

Who else? Most guys in the top 20 are on rebuilding teams or guys that just aren’t getting traded for 1 year rental.