Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

3 hours ago, ChicagoTerp said:

Couldn't agree more.

Perversely, Cease and Robert have negative value on that team. Just enough to help them win 70-80 games, and either miss the playoffs altogether, or maybe sneak in, only to be steamrolled in the first round (*not that there's anything wrong with that!* 😂), and miss out on a top draft pick. 

Thank God the O's would never do that. 🤣

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So he’s rumored to want 2 top 100 and 2 good prospects for Cease. I don’t buy that Elias would be willing to trade the pick. What does it replace? You’re still giving 2 Top 100s … Cowser and Ortiz and one of Mcdermott or Povich plus that pick. Would you do that?

Absolutely not. Getz must be smoking some good stuff.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

😂 Your Trolling needs to end. I’m happy married and never have spent 1 second thinking about a dude.

I’d quit bringing you up if you didn’t have some snarky comment, rep another’s response to mine, the laughing 😂 rep , or being an insufferable know it all that’s impossible to have a logical conversation with because you are never wrong. Even when you are ….. 

No more posts until you've read this book.

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, interloper said:

Are we sure that the Sox are going for a full rebuild though? I could see them trying to get ML-ready guys in their mid-20s to take a shot at the division, if they're delusional enough, which most teams are these days with the expanded playoffs, and considering the weak division. 

But I'm not sure which they're going for. 

Well they traded Burger and two of their best relievers at the trade deadline last year and now they're rumored to be shopping Cease, Jimenez and even possibly Robert. Even with the recent gains they've made with their farm system (see article) I think it's safe to say the next two years are pretty much tank years. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/farm-systems-that-improved-the-most-in-2023

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m having this discussion with them and it’s an interesting topic imo.

On one hand, there is a feeling of “we have to hit on this trade”. There are only so many pieces to deal and he can bring back a higher end talent. Of course, the flip side to that is the higher end talent is typically much more volatile as they are younger and less experienced. 

So, do you go with the high risk high reward guys or do you go with the more of a sure thing but perhaps lower ceiling talent?

If I'm the White Sox then the age of the prospects would weigh pretty heavily. The majority of their top prospects are younger so I would think they'd be looking for prospects who are on a similar timeline / trajectory. That would completely rule out Ortiz and to a lesser extent Westburg, Kjerstad and Cowser. I would be hyper focused on Basallo and Mayo and if the Orioles were unwilling to trade one of them I'd probably move on to the Yankees and ask for a package of their younger prospect because it would be a better fit for them then any of our seemingly ready MLB prospects not named Holliday. That's just the reality of the situation. 

38 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Well they traded Burger and two of their best relievers at the trade deadline last year and now they're rumored to be shopping Cease, Jimenez and even possibly Robert. Even with the recent gains they've made with their farm system (see article) I think it's safe to say the next two years are pretty much tank years. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/farm-systems-that-improved-the-most-in-2023

With the new rules tanking doesn't guarantee a great pick. It's the worst time to tank. Oakland lost 112 games and they pick 4th. Rockies 103 and they pick 3rd. Cinci was a WC contender late in the season and over .500 and they pick 2nd. 

17 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If I'm the White Sox then the age of the prospects would weigh pretty heavily. The majority of their top prospects are younger so I would think they'd be looking for prospects who are on a similar timeline / trajectory. That would completely rule out Ortiz and to a lesser extent Westburg, Kjerstad and Cowser. I would be hyper focused on Basallo and Mayo and if the Orioles were unwilling to trade one of them I'd probably move on to the Yankees and ask for a package of their younger prospect because it would be a better fit for them then any of our seemingly ready MLB prospects not named Holliday. That's just the reality of the situation. 

Apparently Getz said something to the effect of wanting to contend quickly And not have some long drawn out rebuild.

That would be my pushback to this.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

With the new rules tanking doesn't guarantee a great pick. It's the worst time to tank. Oakland lost 112 games and they pick 4th. Rockies 103 and they pick 3rd. Cinci was a WC contender late in the season and over .500 and they pick 2nd. 

I honestly don't think they have a choice. The White Sox are "that" bad. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Apparently Getz said something to the effect of wanting to contend quickly And not have some long drawn out rebuild.

That would be my pushback to this.

Could be that he's just in over his head. Who knows. I'm just speaking to what appears to be the reality of the situation. I don't see how this team can possibly contend for at least the next two years. Eloy can't stay healthy, Moncada's a failed prospect at this point and Vaughn looks like he's barely a 20 HR guy. The only player with any semblance of upside on their roster is Robert. They also have a horrific starting rotation and bottom of the league type defense. The White Sox fans are in for some lean years with or without Cease. 

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I honestly don't think they have a choice. The White Sox are "that" bad. 

They would get a great package for Robert if they decided to trade him. They could rebuild pretty quickly if they didn't want to hold on to what little talent they actually have.

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Could be that he's just in over his head. Who knows. I'm just speaking to what appears to be the reality of the situation. I don't see how this team can possibly contend for at least the next two years. Eloy can't stay healthy, Moncada's a failed prospect at this point and Vaughn looks like he's barely a 20 HR guy. The only player with any semblance of upside on their roster is Robert. They also have a horrific starting rotation and bottom of the league type defense. The White Sox fans are in for some lean years with or without Cease. 

I don’t disagree with anything you are saying but that division blows, so that’s the one thing they have going for them.

I think that’s part of the thought process.