Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

But what does @Steve02270 on Twitter have to say about this? Or maybe @Steve02270 is Jon Morosi's alt account on Twitter. 😮

If there ends up being a bidding war for Cease then Elias should probably focus on another pitching target.

It's really easy to say the price is too high and not buy.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Someone you wanted?

Naw, Eduardo Rodríguez is the guy I think should be a realistic target. 

Or one of the Mariner arms since word is they are actually going to try and flip one. 

I'm just worried they end up with a placeholder guy because they refused to step up with money or prospects.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or one of the Mariner arms since word is they are actually going to try and flip one. 

I'm just worried they end up with a placeholder guy because they refused to step up with money or prospects.

I agree. I think Rodriguez is their target. He likes it here, probably affordable and he’s a lefty which plays extremely well now at Camden Yards. If it happens I just hope he stays healthy and consistent. 

35 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

But what does @Steve02270 on Twitter have to say about this? Or maybe @Steve02270 is Jon Morosi's alt account on Twitter. 😮

If there ends up being a bidding war for Cease then Elias should probably focus on another pitching target.

There isn’t a player they will acquire where there isn’t some level of a bidding war, outside of maybe minor league FA type guys. That’s not possible and if it was, you don’t want that player.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree but I think ownership is too cheap to pay Eduardo what he will require to sign here. He was set to make $16.3 Million per year the next 3 years and he opted out of that. We've not had a guy get paid more than $10M the past few seasons, with the recent exception of Santander Pre-Arbitration. 

I'd like Rodriguez joining the Orioles, but I think he's going to require 20-something million dollars per season. And I don't expect that Ownership is going to write that check.

I would be satisfied with a Montgomery acquisition too. But I have no idea what Montgomery wants.  Blake Snell feels like just a pipe dream under this ownership situation.

I would also be very very pleasantly surprised if we signed Hader. I would love any one of them, but I'm not expecting to see it.

Mariners do seem like they would match up as good trading partners for the Orioles.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

4/82 is the prediction I saw for EdRod earlier. Maybe 4/90 gets it done. No reason this payroll can’t absorb that contract.

Union needs to start pushing for salary floors. At least over a few year’s time frame. 

22 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I agree but I think ownership is too cheap to pay Eduardo what he will require to sign here. He was set to make $16.3 Million per year the next 3 years and he opted out of that. We've not had a guy get paid more than $10M the past few seasons, with the recent exception of Santander Pre-Arbitration. 

I'd like Rodriguez joining the Orioles, but I think he's going to require 20-something million dollars per season. And I don't expect that Ownership is going to write that check.

I would be satisfied with a Montgomery acquisition too. But I have no idea what Montgomery wants.  Blake Snell feels like just a pipe dream under this ownership situation.

I would also be very very pleasantly surprised if we signed Hader. I would love any one of them, but I'm not expecting to see it.

Mariners do seem like they would match up as good trading partners for the Orioles.

Trade Santander and ERod becomes a net gain of $8 million-ish.  We need a spot for Kjerstad/Cowser after all, right?

My own particular expected active payroll target for 2024 is around $85 million.  I would love for it to be more, but that's the line beyond which I need to see it to believe it.  I don't see the O's adding a difference-making SP and an established RP with "closer experience" without a move along those lines.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get the ERod fascination. 

The thought seems to be that he is a lefty…but lefties have been more successful vs him than righties.

Fascination?  This seems to be another one of your creations.  He’s good ( 3 FWAR or better in his last three full seasons) and considered to possibly be within our budget.  Many of us would be happy to have him.  He has been better against RHB for his career (.704 to .743) but he also held LHB to a .583 OPS last year.  I don’t care how he does it as long as the bottom line is good.

• Upvote 1