MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

But Yamamoto's contract, long rumored to surpass $300 million, could now reportedly approach $400 million including the posting fee. Steve Cohen of the Mets and Hal Steinbrenner of the Yankees won't let the Dodgers' contract chicanery interrupt their regularly scheduled bidding war, after all.

https://dodgersway.com/posts/yoshinobu-yamamoto-rumored-contract-should-convince-dodgers-to-spend-elsewhere-01hhf83y9sdv

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

Do you have to? Scherzer/Verlander were traded this summer for only position player prospects. There was the Lopez/Arraez deal last year. The two headliners of the Luis Castillo trade were position players. There might be some teams who only want to trade their pitching for younger pitching, but I don't see any trend saying it's much more difficult to trade hitters for pitchers. 

I think the overwhelming majority of SP trades involve at least 1 SP coming back. Scherzer/Verlander was kind of a weird one - there's a lot of money involved so you typically get less players back. Teams would just take the best player they can get in that case. Not that it's comparable but we traded Cobb for Jahmai Jones and salary relief, for example. So there are examples out there to your point. 

I think a team like Chicago would absolutely be looking for young pitching, otherwise they can just hold onto to Cease for another year. You're giving up a young SP and you can't just not reload that somehow as a rebuilding club.  

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Again, if anybody I'm dealing with tries to discount Cowser because of his ML time, then I'm not engaging with them in a serious way because they're not serious people.

It's not really a diss at Cowser to say that Pepiot's success so far gives him a boost in value.

Pepiot would have the same advantage if Cowser hadn't made his debut yet. 

Glasnow always has the 120 thing hung on him, but he was among the MLB leaders in IP during the covid 2020.

His 57 IP were Top 50-ish regular season, and Kershaw-Snell-Glasnow were the workhorses of the extended playoffs.     He got to ~1500 pitches including playoffs, and except Lance Lynn, no one cracked 1250 during the shortened year.

Sure he can't complete the marathon, but I think the reputation is worse than the reality.

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Again, if anybody I'm dealing with tries to discount Cowser because of his ML time, then I'm not engaging with them in a serious way because they're not serious people.

I don’t disagree with Pickles here.  It’s absurd if people really hold that against Cowser.

OToH, if you are comparing 2 players and one did well and one didn’t, it does factor in some.  In this case, it shouldn’t factor in much but add in the idea of a pitcher vs a hitter and the value is likely closer than what some arbitrary prospect ranking says.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Ok fine, don't take a player's MLB success seriously, but I seem to mistakenly believe the whole point of prospects is to end up w/ successful MLB players.  Carry on.

Oh please.  You want to say even though Cowser has long been a better prospect than the other guy, because of six weeks of their first taste of the MLs, suddenly those years of evaluations are wrong.  Sorry, but you are mistaken.

Again, if anybody I'm in talks with starts talking about "Cowser only hit .188 this year" then you walk away because they're not negotiating in good faith.

9 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I probably overestimated Glasnow in regards to Cease, as @StottyByNature, has likewise pointed out.

IMO, Cowser and Ortiz is 2x the value of what the Rays just received for Glasnow and I don't believe Cease has 2x the value of Glasnow.

Some people might, and I can't argue it, because it's an opinion and a valid one.

It’s subjective.  I’d say if Glasnow stayed healthy all year and threw 160+ innings, his one year of control would be worth more than half of Cease’s two years of control.   But the health risk with Glasnow is pretty substantial.   And, let’s not forget that Glasnow’s 2024 salary is very inflated and will cost more than two years of Cease.  

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think the overwhelming majority of SP trades involve at least 1 SP coming back. Scherzer/Verlander was kind of a weird one - there's a lot of money involved so you typically get less players back. Teams would just take the best player they can get in that case. Not that it's comparable but we traded Cobb for Jahmai Jones and salary relief, for example. So there are examples out there to your point. 

I think a team like Chicago would absolutely be looking for young pitching, otherwise they can just hold onto to Cease for another year. You're giving up a young SP and you can't just not reload that somehow as a rebuilding club.  

You don’t take lesser talent because of position. 

An interesting name not discussed in this would be Tyler Wells.

I have said I want Kopech for the back end of the pen.

If the WS like/want Wells as a SP and we can expand this deal to get Kopech, that would be great. I mean, I would deal Wells even if we didn’t get Kopech but just speaking on the idea of a larger deal.

Just now, interloper said:

Is this about Glasnow leaving the division? If so, I dunno, we hung an .848 OPS on him last year. Dude sucked against us. 

No, it’s about hoping that this takes LA away from Cease. 

And I don’t care about some SSS. Glasnow is a big time arm and talent…the more of those guys out of the division, the better.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

You don’t take lesser talent because of position. 

An interesting name not discussed in this would be Tyler Wells.

I have said I want Kopech for the back end of the pen.

If the WS like/want Wells as a SP and we can expand this deal to get Kopech, that would be great. I mean, I would deal Wells even if we didn’t get Kopech but just speaking on the idea of a larger deal.

Wells is a pretty good shout as a trade candidate, yeah. Kremer and Hall have been talked about a bit on here, but not Wells as much I think becasue a lot of us are so convinced he can't hold up in a full season. Other teams might feel differently. 

Just now, interloper said:

Wells is a pretty good shout as a trade candidate, yeah. Kremer and Hall have been talked about a bit on here, but not Wells as much I think becasue a lot of us are so convinced he can't hold up in a full season. Other teams might feel differently. 

He’s youngish, cheap and has had a lot of ML success. As a third piece in a deal, that’s not bad for some team.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s youngish, cheap and has had a lot of ML success. As a third piece in a deal, that’s not bad for some team.  

As a third piece for Dylan Cease?  LOL.

Yeah, he's got a solid chance of being better than Cease next year on his own.  That's madness.

Just now, Pickles said:

As a third piece for Dylan Cease?  LOL.

Yeah, he's got a solid chance of being better than Cease next year on his own.  That's madness.

First of all,  no he doesn’t have a solid chance at that. Stop being a homer.

Secondly, the third piece in the trade was talking about expanding the deal for Kopech, not just Cease

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all,  no he doesn’t have a solid chance at that. Stop being a homer.

Secondly, the third piece in the trade was talking about expanding the deal for Kopech, not just Cease

Ortiz, Cowser and Wells for Cease and Kopech?  I think I would do that trade.  Too bad the CWS fan isn't around anymore, I would like to hear his opinion.