MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

I think the only way this could happen is by trading Santander or Mountcastle.   

I would agree.   I still think we are in the hunt for a RP and moving one or both of them...is ideal 

Looking at Padres Roster Resource just now, its notable how Stars and Scrubs it remains a week before camps open.     An NRI the Pirates released is the present Soto replacement as the starting LF in a mirror image of the Yankees entering 2024 coming off a terrible 2023 LF WAA.

What are Manny and Xander supposed to think if they don't engage a few decent players in the next couple weeks?

If the organization can't credibly sustain what Mr. Seidler did over the last few years, it is just a matter of time until their playoff-caliber competitors drawing high salaries end up on other Clubs.

Good luck with your cliches next week, Manny.

Mike Elias, please pick me to sign a 1-day contract so I can be traded for Manny Machado and ~$100M dollars!

Goofy stuff aside, there's time to sort it out.    Tommy Pham doesn't need to watch Yu Darvish check his 15 and 30 pitch boxes.    The Padres do have an actual game to play against the Dodgers over in Asia in 6 weeks.

17 hours ago, Keygans said:

The more days that pass, the more I’d love JD Martinez in our lineup… of course we’d need to create room 

There has been some talk about him not being a great clubhouse guy in Boston compared to Turner. 

I dunno. I like Mounty and Santander. O's fans don't really know how good they have it with those two guys, IMO. 

Edited by interloper

30 minutes ago, Keygans said:

Have you seen his numbers?   He's a better bat than any of our OF/DHs... you make room for him.

I have. I've also seen his his OBP which was the worst it's been in years. I'm also not naive enough to think that signing a DH only 36 year old player coming off a bounce back year is a good move. At his age even duplicating last season's production is a long shot. JD Martinez hits HRs and drives in runs. That's basically it. Anythony Santander does the the exact same thing, but can actually play in the field (1B/RF). And we need that DH slot to rotate in players like Cowser and Kjerstad who absolutely need to play at the MLB level this season. Signing JD Martinez is the type of move the old regime would have made. It's certainly not one Elias would or should make. 

34 minutes ago, interloper said:

There has been some talk about him not being a great clubhouse guy in Boston compared to Turner. 

I dunno. I like Mounty and Santander. O's fans don't really know how good they have it with those two guys, IMO. 

I'm geuinely curious how much better folks think that JD Martinez can be (at age 36) than Santander. Keep in mind OBP isn't really a part of his game anymore so he's basically a HRs / RBIs only guy. I honestly don't see much difference between the two players. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I have. I've also seen his his OBP which was the worst it's been in years. I'm also not naive enough to think that signing a DH only 36 year old player coming off a bounce back year is a good move. At his age even duplicating last season's production is a long shot. JD Martinez hits HRs and drives in runs. That's basically it. Anythony Santander does the the exact same thing, but can actually play in the field (1B/RF). And we need that DH slot to rotate in players like Cowser and Kjerstad who absolutely need to play at the MLB level this season. Signing JD Martinez is the type of move the old regime would have made. It's certainly not one Elias would or should make. 

Eh...I don't know.  It would remind me of the Nelson Cruz signing years ago.   Santander is gone after this year.   So if we could use him to get a back end reliever and replace his bat / if not an upgrade from Martinez, clear a spot for Cowser/Kjerstad/Stowers to get regular at bats.  I see it as an upgrade/win.   I absolutely agree that 2 of those 3 need regular at bats at the major league level.  

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Elias specifically said in his presser yesterday that he didn't anticipate any more big moves. 

Oh, I missed that.   Thanks.  I think the prices right now are higher than we are willing to pay.   Teams seem to think just because we have the prospects and they appear to be blocked that we are willing to pay $10 for a $3 slice of ham....

Signing JD would be paired with trading a DH type for a backend reliever. That could be a valid pair of moves, but I don't expect the extra spend. 

Plus, is Walltimore the right destination for an older RH slugger trying to show he's still got it so that this isn't his last contract?

2 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Signing JD would be paired with trading a DH type for a backend reliever. That could be a valid pair of moves, but I don't expect the extra spend. 

Plus, is Walltimore the right destination for an older RH slugger trying to show he's still got it so that this isn't his last contract?

Walltimore has crossed my mind with JD, but we also play road games and road playoff games.  

A JD Martinez signing and subsequent trade for a reliever would be the dream scenario.  I just don't know if anyone is available.  Did we really want to make a Diet Cease trade for Santos?  A guy the was one year removed from being a waiver guy.  

Bednar or Devin Williams are probable deadline targets.  Would we really bring back Tanner Scott?  Hyde once chose to use Stevie Wilkerson in a save situation over an available Tanner Scott.  

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't see the need for JD.

I would like them to pick up another reliever here but there doesn't seem to be a lot of great options left.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-24-mlb-free-agents-by-position

You guys see any names on here you'd want to take on?

With Hall gone I could see them giving a minor league contract to one of those lefty relievers who have had moments of goodness in their career-- Amir Garrett, Brad Hand, Daniel Norris. Just to see if they can figure something out with them, and in case something goes wrong with Perez/Coulombe.

5 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

With Hall gone I could see them giving a minor league contract to one of those lefty relievers who have had moments of goodness in their career-- Amir Garrett, Brad Hand, Daniel Norris. Just to see if they can figure something out with them, and in case something goes wrong with Perez/Coulombe.

I could see that, too.  The other name that they could invite to ST that I wouldn't be bothered with is Lou Trivino.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't see the need for JD.

I would like them to pick up another reliever here but there doesn't seem to be a lot of great options left.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-24-mlb-free-agents-by-position

You guys see any names on here you'd want to take on?

Maybe Amir Garrett or Matthew Boyd to back fill from Hall being traded.  Garrett had some beef with us last year though.

4 hours ago, Keygans said:

Have you seen his numbers?   He's a better bat than any of our OF/DHs... you make room for him.

He’s sort of this decade’s Nelson Cruz, defying gravity so far.  Decent chance he beats Father Time for another year, but I’ve seen too many times where that’s blown up in our face.  Not interested.