MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

3 hours ago, Finisher said:

He must just want to go back to Korea. Someone here would give him more than 3-4 for a year. Probably figures less stress/taxes.

I'm thinking he will have some pretty lucrative endorsement deals over there, maybe enough to make up the difference or at least come close enough.

• Upvote 1

rWAR has Ryu returning home basically dead even with Chan Ho Park at 20 WAR.

South Korea's a nation of about ~50 million, or about 2.5X New York City here.    I imagine all these guys are/were sports heroes on a national scale.

Chronologically by birth:

1973, Chan Ho Park

1982, Shin-Soo Choo

1987, Hyun-Jin Ryu

1995, Ha-Seong Kim

1998, Jung Hoo Lee (Google machine tells me his dad was the "Ichiro of Korea" and won both MVP's and championships).

It is Kim the Padres are moving Xander over to 2B for.     He'll be an interesting free agent next winter.    The Padres-Dodgers South Korea for real games just a month from today!

6 hours ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Sign me up for the KBO. As someone with friends and family on both sides of the aisle, pretty ok sounds better than what I’m going to be dealing with this year. 

It’s pretty easy to ignore politics if you choose. I doubt Ryu cares.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Malike said:

This is a bit disingenuous, he has 1M in incentives also. Mateo doubled his WAR last year too.

He did, though Rosario is younger and in 2022 posted the same rWAR as Mateo has in his career to date.    The initial report I ran into yesterday didn't yet have the incentives.

The result is the biggest percentage win for the Clubs relative to some of the crowdsourced guesses among this winter's top ~50 free agents so far.    

I think the Orioles see something they like well enough in Mateo they are still trying to unlock so don't mind the probable higher $$$/WAR as an investment.

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

He did, though Rosario is younger and in 2022 posted the same rWAR as Mateo has in his career to date.    The initial report I ran into yesterday didn't yet have the incentives.

The result is the biggest percentage win for the Clubs relative to some of the crowdsourced guesses among this winter's top ~50 free agents so far.    

I think the Orioles see something they like well enough in Mateo they are still trying to unlock so don't mind the probable higher $$$/WAR as an investment.

A couple things to like with Mateo,

- He had a stretch last year in April where he looked like Alphonso Soriano. 

- He and Mullins were running wild last year before both of them suffered leg injuries. Remember the Royals series and off of Chapman in particular.

- We already lost Bautista. Mateo was our other extra inning weapon. 

- Can he actually play a passable CF?