MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see how you can say anyone is following the O's when a lot of the teams are locking up young talent.

Is any other team only signing guys to one and two year deals?

Well yeah, my snide remark was more about the Cohen hype than how to build a team—the recipes for which haven’t changed much for a decade  plus or so.

2 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Well yeah, my snide remark was more about the Cohen hype than how to build a team—the recipes for which haven’t changed much for a decade  plus or so.

I was talking about the folks saying the O's are forging some new way.

It's not.

They've just been really good at drafting and developing.

Now maybe it comes out in a few years that the O's have some secret sauce like the Astros did with spin rate?  I wouldn't be shocked.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was talking about the folks saying the O's are forging some new way.

It's not.

They've just been really good at drafting and developing.

Now maybe it comes out in a few years that the O's have some secret sauce like the Astros did with spin rate?  I wouldn't be shocked.

Once an organization gets competent, it’s difficult discerning what are marginal innovations, truly radical insights, and simply stars fortuitously aligning. 

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He didn't have to settle for a two year deal.  Word is the Yankees offered him 150M last month and he turned it down.

That's on him.

There has to be something in between the two offers. I would think. I can fully understand not wanting to play for the Yankees or on the east coast. But if he told Boras that, there has to be someone on the west coast willing to offer more than 2/62. 

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Astros model?

Since the Orioles have not really followed anyone else’s model. Perhaps it’s time to recognize the fact that this is the Oriole’s model. The New Oriole Way. 

58 minutes ago, waroriole said:

There has to be something in between the two offers. I would think. I can fully understand not wanting to play for the Yankees or on the east coast. But if he told Boras that, there has to be someone on the west coast willing to offer more than 2/62. 

Who?  Dodgers?  Angels?  Padres?  Mariners?

None of them were in a position to sign him to a megadeal, maybe the Giants were willing but Snell wasn't?

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I think this is valid. We've noticed a complete 180 degree turn in the way the Mets view building a roster in one half of a season. It's been my belief that Cohen has noticed the success of the Orioles, and combined with the fact none of his big priced free agents helped the Mets to have a successful winning 2023 season, and probably decided it was smarter to build from youth & talent development rather than buying older high priced free agents.

And on that note, Carlos Rodon was an attractive free agent after the 2022 season and he's been a major let down so far for the Yankees in spite of his price tag. And that has helped us.

The Rodon case was a lesson for me in not getting carried away with off-season hype.

The Rangers won the Workd Series last year and they spent a ton of money on free agents.  Not sure why Cohen would have learned from the Orioles whom they swept.  

Karl Ravech going through NL West division odds during the broadcast said "it looked bad" regarding Eduardo Rodriguez's early exit for Arizona.

MLB marketing - program had the detail Seoul is Top 4 global metro economy with Tokyo-New York-Los Angeles.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Karl Ravech going through NL West division odds during the broadcast said "it looked bad" regarding Eduardo Rodriguez's early exit for Arizona.

MLB marketing - program had the detail Seoul is Top 4 global metro economy with Tokyo-New York-Los Angeles.

Guess we dodged a bullet there.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lorenzen to Rangers for 1/4.5 plus another possible 2.5 in incentives. 

I guess it's time to queue all the comments about how we could (or should) have done that deal.  It's clear to me we could have done it, so I think that means Elias & Co. didn't think Lorenzen was an upgrade, and therefore, not worth the investment.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I guess it's time to queue all the comments about how we could (or should) have done that deal.  It's clear to me we could have done it, so I think that means Elias & Co. didn't think Lorenzen was an upgrade, and therefore, not worth the investment.

My theory is I don’t think Elias has the payroll left, although Lorenzen was being stubborn about a second year too. 

With Lorenzen out, that's it y'all. We are rolling with this starting staff for better or for worse. I think it's pretty foolish that we aren't adding another starter, but I guess Elias is comfy with relying on Means.