Ohtani to the Blue Jays? (Update: Signs w/Dodgers for $700 million over 10 yrs)

Rustbelt

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

It's a shame that it took Kevin Gausman leaving the Orioles' organization to find his spine. He was like a timid little butterfly when he pitched for this team. Now he's a keyboard warrior!

He's a salty little SOB over there isn't he? I always kind of get pleasure out of watching him not be able to finish games against us. We always seem to have his number a little and he usually looks pretty frustrated. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's a salty little SOB over there isn't he? I always kind of get pleasure out of watching him not be able to finish games against us. We always seem to have his number a little and he usually looks pretty frustrated. 🤷‍♂️

Even with his long hair and tats he just looks like he's cosplaying a bad a$$ to me. I will give him credit though, that nasty splitter completely turned around his career. 

I still like Gausman and I'm glad he is having a successful career. (I do like that 4.61 ERA against the O's as well.)

Shohei chose the Dodgers for money and for the best chance at winning World Series. The Jays maybe couldn't offer as much money and definitely couldn't offer as high championship chances. That's what the decision came down to if those were really the final two teams. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Even with his long hair and tats he just looks like he's cosplaying a bad a$$ to me. I will give him credit though, that nasty splitter completely turned around his career. 

He had a splitter when he was in Baltimore.  A splitter and a regular changeup.  He may have improved it but he had it.

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I still like Gausman and I'm glad he is having a successful career. (I do like that 4.61 ERA against the O's as well.)

Shohei chose the Dodgers for money and for the best chance at winning World Series. The Jays maybe couldn't offer as much money and definitely couldn't offer as high championship chances. That's what the decision came down to if those were really the final two teams. 

I think the west coast remains a factor as well. I hope it's a factor for Yamamoto, who the Giants are in on now. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Do people talk sh— about the city of Toronto?   

I think only in the sense of like "there's no way Ohtani would want to leave the west coast and LA and go live in Toronto". I honestly haven't seen people badmouth the city much at all. Jays, yes. Winking jabs at Canada, sure. But Toronto objectively is a great city. I just hate the Blue Jays and 90% of their fans. :)

Edited by interloper

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He had a splitter when he was in Baltimore.  A splitter and a regular changeup.  He may have improved it but he had it.

I'm aware. I think he improved it and started throwing it quite a bit more. There's a huge spike in his usage of that pitch from 2019 on in particular. He throws it nearly 50% of the time now and was around 22% when he pitched for us.