Realistic Free Agent #3 Pitchers

ScGO's

22 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I am not defending or advocating for Bauer.

3 hours ago, foxfield said:

ADVOCATING FOR BAUER
I think Bauer is tailor made for the Orioles. 

DEFENDING BAUER
He was accused and punished without being convicted. He was certainly guilty of poor decisions regardless of his legal situation. But he has also paid his debt and would seem worthy of vetting by teams. I hope the Orioles would at least do the work. If they pass, then so be it. But if they signed him, I wouldn’t be upset. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I went back and read his post. There was literally nothing in it but opinion and conjecture. I really hope that it takes more than that for you to consider something to be "well reasoned". 

I like being accused of conjecture when I essentially stated I can't judge the man bc we are limited on what information we really know about him. I also apologize for having opinions deeply influenced by reasoning as opposed to sucking all my info from the tit of mainstream media 

30 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I like being accused of conjecture when I essentially stated I can't judge the man bc we are limited on what information we really know about him. I also apologize for having opinions deeply influenced by reasoning as opposed to sucking all my info from the tit of mainstream media 

You realize that I can search your post history right? So I can see all prior times that you've posted something about Trevor Bauer as a clear attempt to provoke someone to engage you just so you can defend your fallen hero. You've also mentioned some iteration of the bolded statement several times as well. Not only does it make you come across as one of "those guys" it's also completely irrelevant to this conversation. The fact remains that the public perception of Trevor Bauer, whether you think it's a "mainstream media" construct or not, exists. And major league baseball teams rely on the public for a large part of their revenue. That includes female fans, which has been reported to be as high as 45% (the highest in sports). And unfortunately many of those fans aren't as smart as you [heavy eye roll] and do consume mainstream media so the public perception of Trevor Bauer is a significant factor for any team that considers signing him. And Bauer is doing nothing to help his cause by continuing to keep this story in the news by frequently posting about it on social media and going on talk shows (Fox News, Doug Gottlieb, etc.) while showing not even an ounce of humility. And yes you can show humility even if you aren't "technically" guilty of a crime. When you add the public perception concern along with the performance concerns (I mentioned in a prior post that he could very well be a 4.00 ERA pitcher without the sticky stuff to help his spin rate) along with the past on field incidents/tantrums there really is very little upside to signing him. It would be a desperation move and one that a team coming off a 101 win season certainly doesn't need to make. So why are we even talking about this (again)? 

2 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Per Heyman

The Orioles have considered every starter from Marcus Stroman on down (they couldn’t seriously consider Blake Snell or Jordan Montgomery “unless the market collapsed.”) Baltimore also has been eying James Paxton.

“Couldn’t” isn’t the right word. The payroll is about $100 million under 2018 in 2024 dollars, and that’s not accounting for new revenue sharing, tv money, and technology sales. 

12 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Per Heyman

The Orioles have considered every starter from Marcus Stroman on down (they couldn’t seriously consider Blake Snell or Jordan Montgomery “unless the market collapsed.”) Baltimore also has been eying James Paxton.

c71cefc99fe8dc4651204bff68be7a02.jpg

19 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

“Couldn’t” isn’t the right word. The payroll is about $100 million under 2018 in 2024 dollars, and that’s not accounting for new revenue sharing, tv money, and technology sales. 

I might quibble with your math, but your point is well taken.  Forbes had the O’s making $67 mm in net operating income in 2022, and I expect 2023 was comparable.  They could very easily afford a guy like Snell or Montgomery.  Not saying it would be a smart move, but this incessant poor-mouthing needs to stop.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I might quibble with your math, but your point is well taken.  Forbes had the O’s making $67 mm in net operating income in 2022, and I expect 2023 was comparable.  They could very easily afford a guy like Snell or Montgomery.  Not saying it would be a smart move, but this incessant poor-mouthing needs to stop.   

And as you said ticket prices are up!

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, we can’t know the actual numbers but I’ve seen some estimates for $110m in revenue sharing (which includes 48% of all of our local revenues) and $90m for national tv money. Plus the other 52% of local revenues. You add in the one time technology sales of $50m and it’s getting up there. Coaching, executive, stadium personnel, rent, and other operating expenses can’t be that high.

I also can’t imagine they’re not doing something funny with how they categorize MASN profit versus the rights fees they “pay to the Orioles” and to the Nats.

12 minutes ago, brooooksy said:

Yeah, we can’t know the actual numbers but I’ve seen some estimates for $110m in revenue sharing (which includes 48% of all of our local revenues) and $90m for national tv money. Plus the other 52% of local revenues. You add in the one time technology sales of $50m and it’s getting up there. Coaching, executive, stadium personnel, rent, and other operating expenses can’t be that high.

I also can’t imagine they’re not doing something funny with how they categorize MASN profit versus the rights fees they “pay to the Orioles” and to the Nats.

I doubt they can do anything “funny” with the MASN rights fees.   The whole reason the RSDC exists is to prevent teams from avoiding revenue sharing by manipulating those numbers.  

There are very few teams in baseball that have been as profitable as the Orioles between 2019 and now, if Forbes’ numbers are anything close to accurate.