What about Mayo?

RZNJ

I have qualms about Mayo’s defense at 3B.   Yes, he might develop into a competent major league 3B, but competent is a low bar.  We have 3-4 guys who are better there defensively and I am reluctant to settle for competent when we can do better.   I’d only do it if the offensive advantages make that our optimal overall alignment, which I doubt.  

Edited by Frobby

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

They don’t really “have” to do anything yet.  When they are convinced that the guys in Norfolk are ready to be better than the players in Baltimore, then they’re probably motivated to act on it.  

Okay …but you can’t hold them too long. I personally think Mayo is ready. I like Urias but he’s a good player, not a star. Mateo is so poor offensively, was shedding on defense at times, and it seemed like he stopped stealing bases late in the season. Mountcastle is too streaky offensively. Honestly I’d start Holiday at AAA, Ortiz & Mayo up to start the season and purge the guys Ive mentioned from the roster. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It depends on your definition of “have to”.

"Have to" = required to, must do because of rules.  Not the slang "have to" meaning the need/want/desire a higher ceiling on the field.

Does Elias think the floor is secure enough to focus on the ceiling?  If so, then the Rookie Integration Plan can pick up steam this year.  But it has start by clearing out those with a lower ceiling.  Either we still have depth to deal with (or rule out) and that would likely mean more time in AAA for Mayo.  Are we ready to give near full-time PAs to more than 1 or 2 rookies?

If there's one thing we have, it's plenty of options (mostly solid).  I almost typed up a list of competitors for Mayo's PAs too.  But it's basically anyone not named Adley, Gunnar, and Cedric.  Everyone else influences Mayo's PAs to some degree.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Okay …but you can’t hold them too long. I personally think Mayo is ready. I like Urias but he’s a good player, not a star. Mateo is so poor offensively, was shedding on defense at times, and it seemed like he stopped stealing bases late in the season. Mountcastle is too streaky offensively. Honestly I’d start Holiday at AAA, Ortiz & Mayo up to start the season and purge the guys Ive mentioned from the roster. 

To me, what you are saying is that you think the AAA guys are ready to be better than the guys they’re replacing.  If the O’s share that opinion, they should get on with it.   I just don’t know if they share that opinion.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To me, what you are saying is that you think the AAA guys are ready to be better than the guys they’re replacing.  If the O’s share that opinion, they should get on with it.   I just don’t know if they share that opinion.  

Agreed …. But you can’t let them percolate too long. A decision to promote or trade should happen with Ortiz, Norby, and even Stowers this season. We have time on Mayo and Holiday.

The initial release of '24 PECOTAs look like they regard Coby Mayo as the 3rd most potent Age 22 bat for next season by their overall run production metric, behind Francisco Alvarez and Jordan Walker.    Mayo is just ahead of Wyatt Langford, a sort of demographic twin who actually did go to the University of Florida and will go to 2024 camp with a similar "will he make the team" kind of plot line.

Its tantalizing to look at the #1 bats of various ages:

26-25: Ronald Acuna and Juan Soto (Adley #2 among age 26)

24-23: Bobby Witt and Corbin Carroll (Gunnar #4 among age 23)

22-21: Francisco Alvarez and Emmanuel Rodriguez (Mayo #3 among age 22, AL RoY favorite Evan Carter #5 among age 21)

20-19: Jackson Holliday and Samuel Basallo

Kjerstad and Cowser could end up the 6th and 7th guys in the peak lineups, if they even establish themselves as 600 PA/year types.

11 hours ago, forphase1 said:

With the bat he is more ready than Holiday to play in the MLB right now.  Problem is where.  Personally I'd love to see a starting infield that's rotated between Westburg, Henderson, Ortiz and Mayo.  Let those 4 have like 95% of the starts between the 3 positions.  Urias/Mateo off of the roster or hardly used, and rarely starting.  

Based on what? More AAA ab's?

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Thats 6 guys for 3 spots before Holliday enters the mix.  What am I missing? 

Mayo 3B, Henderson SS, Westburg 2B.  Urías and Mateo on bench.  Holliday to Norfolk.  Ortiz goes in the trade for the pitcher but it’s not like Ortiz has to be moved to open a spot for Mayo.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We have a thread about the chances of Jackson Holliday making the OD roster.   Well, what about Mayo?  With 267 PA at AAA he’s passed the barrier it seems others have had to pass and he did it with a .905 OPS and strong plate discipline numbers.  “Experts”, including Tony, think he can be average at 3B.  Tony, himself, thinks Mayo makes the OD roster.   What say you?

I don't see it, unless Mountcastle gets traded (which I'd be perfectly fine with).