Opinions that didn't age well: 2023

Greg Pappas

• Greg Pappas changed the title to Opinions that didn't age well: 2023

Three of my favorite ones this past year (but they weren't mine):

1. Gunnar Henderson must be sent back to Norfolk
  2. Colton Cowser must be promoted to kickstart the offense, because we weren't winning enough games and Elias wasn't "trying to win"
  3. We'd go from ice cold at the end of the season and get hot during the one week break leading to the playoff series with Texas.

My big misses.....I didn't think Mateo could be so bad for so long hitting after his April performance, and I thought Jack Flaherty would actually help us.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think that more than a few people might want to check the opinion they expressed when we acquired Ryan O’Hearn.  Here’s mine:

I think we should all get a mulligan on O'Hearn.

That's a once a season type story there.

I'm pretty sure no one in the O's FO expected that level of performance.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think we should all get a mulligan on O'Hearn.

That's a once a season type story there.

I'm pretty sure no one in the O's FO expected that level of performance.

That thread is hilarious.  I hated the move but saw it as depth.   I do think with his batted ball profiles they had a pretty good idea he’d produce.  Maybe not as much as he did, but I’m sure he didn’t outperform all their potential scenarios.  

2023 improvement definitely opened some eyes and created a lot of believers in the process.  Me included, I was on the fence.  

Knowing all I know about JA and the Angelos family I defended JA's controlled interview and his characterized his actions as "sincere".   I continue to be schocked that someone in his position would be so inept in dealing with the media, to the extent ME has to publicaly rationalize his lack of media training.  

Edited by SemperFi

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

I thought the team as a whole would regress from '22. I didn't think they improved much over the offseason and thought for sure they would end up under .500. I was about 25-30 games off. :D

I believe I had them around 85 wins give or take a few wins. Happy to be very wrong.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think that more than a few people might want to check the opinion they expressed when we acquired Ryan O’Hearn.  Here’s mine:

I will say it came on the heels of the Frazier signing so most were already riled up. I believe I noted that his EV and the lack of shift could help him, but I felt he was unneeded and too expensive to sit in AAA. 

Congrats on O'Hearn for proving us all wrong and Elias and crew right on this one. Not that this is what this thread is about, but his second half numbers last year do give me some pause moving forward this year with him. Still, he's pretty cheap depth to have.