Mewleski: The infield depth seems to be leading to one conclusion – a trade is coming.

Roll Tide

The infield depth seems to be leading to one conclusion – a trade is coming. Because it has not so far doesn’t mean it won’t. But the Orioles don’t have to make a trade, which puts them in good bargaining position. Mike Elias stated during the Winter Meetings that they can trade with just about any club in the majors in terms of their strong minor league depth and strong prospects list.

Teams often look to make trades from their depth – trade that of which you have a surplus.

The O’s prospects lists with infielders and outfielders shows plenty of depth. Less so probably among the arms.

To me, considering the depth of talent here, a deal seems likely, almost inevitable

I agree but you have to wonder when Elias is going to pull the trigger.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/is-a-trade-inevitable-for-the-orioles

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree but you have to wonder when Elias is going to pull the trigger.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/is-a-trade-inevitable-for-the-orioles

As Mewleski said, Elias doesn't need to do anything... yet.  Naturally when there is a logjam of prospects pushing their way up for playing time, it's a great "problem" to have.  Injuries may occur at a position or two, or in some cases prospects will just be better options to take over.  Either way, at some point, a trade or three seems inevitable.  If not this Winter, then by the deadline I'd think.

Change it to "The infield depth seems to be leading to one conclusion – a trade should be coming," and I'm fully on board.

Elias has been extremely cautious and risk-averse when it comes to using dollars or talented players to bring in talent with established major league value. That trait (along with ownership's stinginess and profit-hoarding) has made him very reluctant to trade a guy who, while not likely to get many ABs with the Orioles (and, in some cases, may not even get a roster spot for another year), might blossom into an All Star-level player if traded.

That speculation is strengthened by the fact that the centerpiece of the trade likely would be for a starter or starters who could be shelved due to injury at any time. You can throw in the fact that Elias has never made a "big trade" in which he parts with high-level (or potentially high-level) talent, or a big-dollar free-agent signing, and surely doesn't want to sully the strong reputation he's built by making his first big trade or signing one that turns out badly: any of the IFs he would trade could be a valuable, Adam Jones-caliber major leaguer for a long time.

I think most of us have been saying this for months. It just seems to drag on FOREVER. We have too many infielders and outfielders and need a good, young starting pitcher. I keep waiting on Elias to make it happen.

13 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

As Mewleski said, Elias doesn't need to do anything... yet.  Naturally when there is a logjam of prospects pushing their way up for playing time, it's a great "problem" to have.  Injuries may occur at a position or two, or in some cases prospects will just be better options to take over.  Either way, at some point, a trade or three seems inevitable.  If not this Winter, then by the deadline I'd think.

It's only a great problem to have if you take advantage of the situation to improve the team as a whole. Otherwise it's a huge missed opportunity. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Unfortunately, I think other teams want pitching, which is not a part of the O's organizational depth. 

I read that the Marlin or Mariners (don’t remember which)have a middle infielder after a loss. 

Dipoto needs a COF and a productive DH. We could certainly dangle Mountcastle, O’Hearn , Hays, and or Santander. Dipoto is a dealer and doesn’t have to be a clear winner to make a deal.

What about Mountcastle, and Cowser to start a deal or Santander and Irvin to start a deal or Hays and Ortiz? Obviously we’d need to add something else but should be enough pieces to find a deal.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mariners-remaining-offseason-needs

20 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Change it to "The infield depth seems to be leading to one conclusion – a trade should be coming," and I'm fully on board.

Elias has been extremely cautious and risk-averse when it comes to using dollars or talented players to bring in talent with established major league value. That trait (along with ownership's stinginess and profit-hoarding) has made him very reluctant to trade a guy who, while not likely to get many ABs with the Orioles (and, in some cases, may not even get a roster spot for another year), might blossom into an All Star-level player if traded.

That speculation is strengthened by the fact that the centerpiece of the trade likely would be for a starter or starters who could be shelved due to injury at any time. You can throw in the fact that Elias has never made a "big trade" in which he parts with high-level (or potentially high-level) talent, or a big-dollar free-agent signing, and surely doesn't want to sully the strong reputation he's built by making his first big trade or signing one that turns out badly: any of the IFs he would trade could be a valuable, Adam Jones-caliber major leaguer for a long time.

Or the IF prospects could turn out to be Ryan Flaherty .. risks always exist but Elias results are only thing that matters