As of now, which non-pitcher position are you the most concerned about?

Greg Pappas

As of now, which non-pitcher position are you the most concerned about?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. As of now, which non-pitcher position are you the most concerned about?

2 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

It's hard for me to get worked up about 1B, because we could probably plug that hole with Coby Mayo if we had to. Heck, we've got multiple decent options for every position on the dirt.

I voted CF, because Mullins isn't getting younger or better and we have no one great ready to take over. I don't believe Cowser is a CF.

Issues with Hays aside, I'm pretty sure we could cover him with Cowser, Kjerstad, Stowers, etc. if we had to. Same for Santander.

I can get behind voting CF because of lack of depth, but Mullins was relatively healthy the two prior seasons so I'm hoping that 2023 was just a a slight hiccup in the health department. I also think signing someone like Adam Duvall to a one year deal could easily put a band-aid on the CF depth issue, at least in the short term. 

I went with CF. Ced is very good, when healthy. A lot of leg issues for a guy whose game is his legs. If you want Ced to be productive in September and October, you need to get him off his feet more during the season. 

We need to solidify the position. Perhaps Hilliard was to that end, or he might be getting Hays a break more than Ced. Cowser has a lot to prove, and doesn’t look, to me, like he belongs in CF. McKenna is out of options, and who knows if they plan on doing another move to replace Hicks’ production. I don’t think Hicks would be a guy I would want in 2024.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

Their career batting averages are almost identical and Mullin's career OBP is higher. They're literally the same offensive player except Mullins steals bases and has actually had at least one breakout season. If you want to argue the CF depth issue (compared to LF) that's fine, but Hays isn't a better offensive player than Mullins. 

He was better last year, healthy, and trending positive/steady while Mullins has put up .720 two years in a row and had multiple injuries. Sorry, I am allowed to be more worried about Mullins, and I am.

My only concern (not great) will be if we get hit heavy with injuries and the "next up" is a big drop-off. I understand that Hays, Ced, etc. are a year older but Adley, Gunnar, et al. are a year more experienced.

I have many more "hopes" than "concerns".

The only holes that this team had at the end of the season was SP to replace Gibson, closer to replace Bautista, and the RH SU/MR that we hoped Fuji would be. Webb sorta filled that role. So did Wells. 

On offense, it’s just depth. CF and Catcher. Are we bringing back Hicks?  Mateo is still here and can play some CF. Mckenna vs Hilliard in ST. Gotta favor Hilliard simply because the FA status of our OF in the future and his bat has everyday potential. Would McKenna clear waivers at the end of ST?

McCann is in a contract year if that matters. Perez seems like the vet catcher stash for AAA along with Handley. Basallo might be closer than we think. Especially with less emphasis on the catcher’s game calling since the pitchers call their pitches. SB are way down too, but Basallo has a cannon.

4 hours ago, emmett16 said:

RF is only position on team with a negative WAA.  When measuring how the team performs, that seems like the most applicable stat. 

Santander only had 411 of the PA going into that, and others had 273 so that readout was almost exactly 40% others, including dribs and drabs of the Fraziers and Vavras of the world.     I know we both hope the story of 2024 is zero Orioles plate appearances going to bats that weak.

• Thanks 2

I think for me its 3B, given the possibility Mayo perhaps can't cover it.    

I have Gunnar-Holliday hopefully starting on what I hope will be as long and productive a partnership as Trammell and Whitaker.

Then its just Ramon Urias, Jordan Westburg and Joey Ortiz for that role, and it'll be okay but I don't see even the "Austin Hays might be an All-Star in a good year" upside all of the rest of the positions have at least.

Somebody out of Mountcastle, O'Hearn, Kjerstad, Mayo or Basallo will be a nice 1B option by fall, especially if Mayo is limited to that bucket.