As of now, which non-pitcher position are you the most concerned about?

Greg Pappas

As of now, which non-pitcher position are you the most concerned about?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. As of now, which non-pitcher position are you the most concerned about?

We have no 1B prospects coming up (unless you count Mayo, but I don’t just yet) and we have Ryan Mountcastle written in that spot with little to no reason to believe that will change any time soon. 

3 minutes ago, oriole said:

We have no 1B prospects coming up (unless you count Mayo, but I don’t just yet) and we have Ryan Mountcastle written in that spot with little to no reason to believe that will change any time soon. 

I think Basallo could be a candidate. 

CF, and it's an easy choice for me.  I'm concerned about Mullins, both his declining production and speed.  After pitching, CF was definitely the thinnest position in the minors until the last draft.  Luckily we got Bradfield and a few other CF prospects, but we don't have anyone knocking on the door if we need help this year.  And from what I've seen of Cowser, I don't think he can play an average major league CF.

Maybe Right feild if we consider Santander DH or 1B? Or maybe backup Catcher? I like McCann and he's good defensively but he's also inconsistent and unreliable with a bat in his hands. And Adley gets fatigued significantly when used too much, even at his young age.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

CF and Catcher. They’re the two positions that we don’t have mlb ready depth behind the starters. Last year, we got lucky that Hicks was available when Mullins got hurt, and that Hicks performed well while Mullins was out. 

Catcher?

18 hours ago, wse120372 said:

I'm going with CF. I love Ceddy but his production isn't exactly tracking upward. You can hide the bat if he plays exceptional defense but what happens when that slips? EBJ might have to be ready sooner than we hoped.

18 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Mullins for sure. He had a bunch of injuries and looked pretty broken down at the end of the year, to the point of looking Cowser level bad in the playoffs. His .721 OPS was OK overall but he was headed in the wrong direction and just overall seems on a downward trend since that crazy 1st half of 2021.

I get that Mullins had a down year, but even at his worst (offensively) he's still better than Hays. And even if he's stops stealing bases I'd say they're equal offensively. 

Right now the worst offensive position in our lineup is LF because as long as Hays is on the team Hyde will give him 500 ABs regardless of how he hits or how much other OFs are raking in the minors. I also noticed several votes for CF (i.e., Mullins). That's baffling to me because at his worst Mullins is still a better offensive player than Hays. I hope you all are voting that way because you REALLY believe in Cowser hitting / potentially taking over the position. 

I went 3rd, though CF is close behind, followed by 1st for me.   

3rd - as the roster is currently constructed, I see Westburg at 2nd, Gunnar at SS and Urias at 3rd.  Now I know we have the infield depth to improve this greatly,  but until they are called up and Urias/Mateo off the roster finally, I expect to see them both play,  with Urias starting.  Still time to be proven wrong,  but I'll believe it when I see it. 

CF - we have no good options if Mullins gets hurt, and even if he doesn't that bat is just so-so, and trending the wrong way. 

1st - O'Hearn may have been a 1 year fluke and Mountcastle is so frustratingly inconsistent.   But we've others that could play here if given the chance.   Don't know is Elias/Hyde will let that happen though. 

Edited by forphase1

It's hard for me to get worked up about 1B, because we could probably plug that hole with Coby Mayo if we had to. Heck, we've got multiple decent options for every position on the dirt.

I voted CF, because Mullins isn't getting younger or better and we have no one great ready to take over. I don't believe Cowser is a CF.

Issues with Hays aside, I'm pretty sure we could cover him with Cowser, Kjerstad, Stowers, etc. if we had to. Same for Santander.

58 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I get that Mullins had a down year, but even at his worst (offensively) he's still better than Hays. And even if he's stops stealing bases I'd say they're equal offensively. 

Last year Hays outhit Mullins by 40 points, leading to higher OBP and higher OPS by almost 50 points. Interestingly they both have career OPS of .750.  Hays was definitely better than Mullins last year. Add in the multiple injuries and I am more concerned about Mullins. And even if Hays falls off a cliff, we have multiple internal options who can play his position but we are way thinner at CF.

• Upvote 1

I said none but I’m really glad to hear that Mayo is going to get time in right field.  I’ve been advocating that for some time.  Mayo in right and Basallo at 1st as Mountcastle’s eventual replacement puts some big time power in the lineup.

I have no single position that I am concerned about but strongly feel like we need one more "big bat". We need a consistent hitter that is feared by other pitchers that has proven to be someone that can be relied on when the rest of the offense gets streaky. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Last year Hays outhit Mullins by 40 points, leading to higher OBP and higher OPS by almost 50 points. Interestingly they both have career OPS of .750.  Hays was definitely better than Mullins last year. Add in the multiple injuries and I am more concerned about Mullins. And even if Hays falls off a cliff, we have multiple internal options who can play his position but we are way thinner at CF.

Their career batting averages are almost identical and Mullin's career OBP is higher. They're literally the same offensive player except Mullins steals bases and has actually had at least one breakout season. If you want to argue the CF depth issue (compared to LF) that's fine, but Hays isn't a better offensive player than Mullins. 

33 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I have no single position that I am concerned about but strongly feel like we need one more "big bat". We need a consistent hitter that is feared by other pitchers that has proven to be someone that can be relied on when the rest of the offense gets streaky. 

Yea I am concerned about the lack of power and the ability to into those funks when they can't score more than 2 runs