As of now, which non-pitcher position are you the most concerned about?

Greg Pappas

As of now, which non-pitcher position are you the most concerned about?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. As of now, which non-pitcher position are you the most concerned about?

5 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Your answer doesn't necessarily indicate a major concern, but rather the most concern.  (BTW, I get that DH isn't technically a position) 🙂

Is none of the above possible?  😇

• Upvote 1

I'd say 3B because it's really the only position that we don't have a clear answer for.  We have people that can play there, but they are perceived bench players, prospects, or Gunnar.  I still think best option is Gunnar at 3B, Ortiz at SS until Holiday is up.  Westburg at 2B.  

• Upvote 1

Left field for me. Hays’ jumps have never been spectacular, and he’s another year older. Compare:

Hays in 2023:

Reaction: -1.1

Burst: -.7

Route: .4

Feet vs Average: -1.4

Feet covered: 32.2

Santander in 2023:

Reaction: -.7

Burst: .1

Route: .7

Feet vs Average: .1

Feet covered: 33.2

Hays was certainly above average offensively last year with a 114 OPS+ (even with the second half decline), but I think that might be his peak. If the offense declines, and the defense further declines, I feel like LF could be the most troubling position (which is why I’d strongly consider moving Hays if a team valued him).

I wouldn’t call LF a major concern despite the foregoing. However, because I didn’t want to choose none of the above, I am choosing LF.

• Upvote 1

I'm going with CF. I love Ceddy but his production isn't exactly tracking upward. You can hide the bat if he plays exceptional defense but what happens when that slips? EBJ might have to be ready sooner than we hoped.

Mullins for sure. He had a bunch of injuries and looked pretty broken down at the end of the year, to the point of looking Cowser level bad in the playoffs. His .721 OPS was OK overall but he was headed in the wrong direction and just overall seems on a downward trend since that crazy 1st half of 2021.

50 minutes ago, cridolphi said:

I'd say 3B because it's really the only position that we don't have a clear answer for.  We have people that can play there, but they are perceived bench players, prospects, or Gunnar.  I still think best option is Gunnar at 3B, Ortiz at SS until Holiday is up.  Westburg at 2B.  

If things get really bad, we could just have our Gold Glove third baseman play third base. 

• Confused 1

I am concerned about Mullins offensive production. To me he just seems to wear down as the season progresses and I'm worried about him not aging well. Those that are concerned about Hays...IMO he is what he is and may be the least likely to have a drastic change offensively in either direction. McKenna?? I will be disappointed if he is on the opening day roster.

I’m not very worried about any of them.  But, I’d say our biggest potential weakness is 1B, because Mountcastle is inconsistent and O’Hearn may be a one-year fluke, based on his track record.   But it also wouldn’t surprise me if Mountcastle had a career year.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

I’m not very worried about any of them.  But, I’d say our biggest potential weakness is 1B, because Mountcastle is inconsistent and O’Hearn may be a one-year fluke, based on his track record.   But it also wouldn’t surprise me if Mountcastle had a career year.  

Yeah, but you could just put Santander or Kjerstad (or Mayo) there.  There are options.

It's why I went with CF.  Besides Mullins, there aren't any good options.

• Upvote 1