Arbitration demands and offers to be exchanged next Friday (1/12)

Frobby

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This one surprises me a little.  By comparison, Mullins got $4.1 mm and Hays $3.2 mm last year in Arb. 1.   

People here are always surprised that Mountcastle is worth more than they think he is. 😉

• Haha 1

I wonder if Cedric winces a little when he gets on base, maybe swipes a bag, and then Mountcastle hits a badly aimed Barrel to the base of the CF wall for a sac fly RBI, earning Mike Bordick's praise about them steaks, and also money.

Its all good and I cheer for Cedric to score 100, and Mountcastle to knock in 100.     Cedric's the one with the path to $100mm once he gets outside arbitration's slightly odd system of rewards.

I don't think we've seen Mountcastle's career year yet, and I hope it'll happen soon and get him whole bunches of millions too.

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This one surprises me a little.  By comparison, Mullins got $4.1 mm and Hays $3.2 mm last year in Arb. 1.   

Arbitration is still big on HR and RBIs I guess.  I can't imagine a baseball fan, much less a baseball expert in 2024 thinks Mountcastle is more valuable than Mullins.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

People here are always surprised that Mountcastle is worth more than they think he is. 😉

Agree. Now he didn't hit as many HR as 2022 (I really think he's the poster child for the negative effect of the wall) but his numbers are actually ok.

.270/.328/.452 with 18 HRs and 21 2Bs. That was in 470 PA. He generated a 117 wRC+ and 1.7 fWAR. 

His defense was ok as well. UZR= 1.7, DRS = - 2, OAA = -1. Seems about league average or a little worse.

Fangraphs estimates his value for 2023 at $13.2 MM for whatever that is worth.

I think he's getting paid at a reasonable rate. I agree with @Just Regular, if he has a big year he'll make more money.

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Agree. Now he didn't hit as many HR as 2022 (I really think he's the poster child for the negative effect of the wall) but his numbers are actually ok.

.270/.328/.452 with 18 HRs and 21 2Bs. That was in 470 PA. He generated a 117 wRC+ and 1.7 fWAR. 

His defense was ok as well. UZR= 1.7, DRS = - 2, OAA = -1. Seems about league average or a little worse.

Fangraphs estimates his value for 2023 at $13.2 MM for whatever that is worth.

I think he's getting paid at a reasonable rate. I agree with @Just Regular, if he has a big year he'll make more money.

Nothing wrong with his numbers, and he has value, but Mullins was certainly more valuable as of the end of 2022 than Mountcastle is now, yet Mountcastle is being paid more.  And $937 k more than Hays got at this stage, though I’d say Hays was about equally valuable as of last season.  So that’s why I’m surprised.   It’s not a huge deal, we’re talking about maybe $1 mm.

• Upvote 1