Full Coaching Staff announced

SteveA

1 hour ago, Obando said:

I know Holt is still with the organization as Director of Pitching, and I’m probably reading too much into this, but I think it’s strange that Holt isn’t listed on the Orioles organizational directory as being in the front office or coaching staff.  It could just be that the directory hasn’t been updated yet to reflect this, but all the other Director positions are acknowledged, and even Justin Ramsey is listed as Upper Level Pitching Coordinator and Triple-A pitching coach.  As the Director of Pitching, Holt oversees pitching instruction & strategy for both the major & minor leagues, so to me, that would put him under the general Player Development category, and I just don’t see him listed anywhere.   Like I said, I have no concern about this, but I just think it’s a bit strange.  

I also find it strange that Holt isn’t listed there.  Like you, I’m not too concerned about it.  

17 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I don't like changing things when they had so much success with the previous combination of pitching coaches the past 2 seasons. It's like trying to fix something that wasn't broke. Risks more problems than it's worth.

It’s possible that Holt no longer wanted to juggle being the Director of Pitching and also the major league pitching coach, which is a lot to be responsible for.  I can’t imagine Elias/Hyde would just make this change without having Holt be on board with it, especially after the pitching staff as a whole made so much progress over the last 2 years.  I’m guessing Holt preferred to have some flexibility and wanted to be able to focus more on the development of minor league pitchers, which he couldn’t do as ML pitching coach, and Elias/Hyde were on board with it.

If I recall correctly, Holt had to take a leave with the team for a period of time last year, so he could have some personal things going on off the field that have made it harder for him to focus on both jobs, and he decided it would be best to focus more on minor league development.  He and Drew French have a relationship going back to Houston, so I would assume he played a big role in picking him as his replacement, since they probably have the same pitching philosophy and speak the same language, so to speak, which should make the transition more seamless.