Which would you prefer?

Pickles

Which would you prefer?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which makes for a more "successful" season?

• Orioles win 100 games and division again and receive first round bye but lose in divisional round again.
    • Orioles win 92 games, and a wildcard spot, win the wildcard round, and lose in the divisional round.

There's a lot of debate about playoff odds, and improving the team in regards to being able to compete better in the playoffs.  Just thought this was an interesting question, and reflective of people's psychology.

13 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Just thought this was an interesting question, and reflective of people's psychology.

I don’t find it interesting, I’m curious as to why you do.

I suppose the “psychology” here revolves around winning a playoff series and less wins vs. a lot of wins and not winning a playoff series.  “Being able to compete better in the playoffs” ignores the idea that the playoffs are a crapshoot and anything can happen.  We ran into a buzzsaw last year, that statement is validated by the fact that the Rangers continued to roll straight through to winning the whole thing.

As far as the poll, I don’t really care, the scenarios provided are from a 35,000 foot view and the details here are what would matter to me. 

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don’t find it interesting, I’m curious as to why you do.

I suppose the “psychology” here revolves around winning a playoff series and less wins vs. a lot of wins and not winning a playoff series.  “Being able to compete better in the playoffs” ignores the idea that the playoffs are a crapshoot and anything can happen.  We ran into a buzzsaw last year, that statement is validated by the fact that the Rangers continued to roll straight through to winning the whole thing  

As far as the poll, I don’t really care, the scenarios provided are from a 35,000 foot view and the details here are what would matter to me. 

Oh, I think people would have very different reactions in the wake of either scenario, even though there's no real difference in outcome.

People "know" the playoffs is a crapshoot, but I don't believe they actually "emotionally accept" that.

I think if the team lost in the divisional round without a playoff series win there would be an outcry to be more aggressive and it would seem to confirm Elias must do more to enhance the team.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

There's a lot of debate about playoff odds, and improving the team in regards to being able to compete better in the playoffs.  Just thought this was an interesting question, and reflective of people's psychology.

Ooops, I misread the prompt!  I thought it was win the Wild Card Round and the Divisional Round.  

I'd prefer the 100 wins if the end result in the playoffs is the same.