Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He really has become a joke. It’s a shame because he really hustled his ass off and made a nice little career for himself. I don’t think he’s a bad guy but he does seem to think everyone should bow down and kiss his ass. 

I got really turned off when he was seemingly using his wife’s cancer as a way to promote himself and NST. I felt bad that she went through what she did and am glad she’s ok but it felt icky to me.

Me too. It was absolutely disgusting the way he tried to exploit the whole situation for his own career/good. 

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I just remembered Cal wanted Gunnar at SS and to stop the back and forth last year.  Maybe he has a talk with Elias about leaving the kid at SS?  

I believe Gunnar will let his play do all the talking on the field this season and put any and all of those discussions to bed.  I predict he takes at least 3/4 of the games at SS. 

6 hours ago, accinfo said:

Rubenstein is a Duke graduate so not shocking Grant Hill would be involved.  Grant is one of the real good guys.  

Calvin Hill,  the former Cowboys and Redskins player who is Grant HIll's father, is a Baltimore native (Cardinal Gibbons) who was on the Orioles' board of directors back when Edward Bennett Williams owned the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wonder what he has planned for Cal?  I’m glad Ripken is involved but don’t want him meddling either.

Gotta think he's a goodwill gesture toward fans in the sense of, "Hey Baltimore--a bunch of PE guys bought your team, but Cal is involved, so we'll definitely be staying in Camden Yards."

4 hours ago, CompuCoach said:

Grant is from Northern VA (Reston). Might have grown up as an Orioles fan, as DC had no team back then. 

His father Calvin, who played for the Cowboys and Redskins, is a Baltimore native who went to Cardinal Gibbons and served on the Orioles' board of directors when the Orioles were owned by his buddy EBW.

2 minutes ago, Remember The Alomar said:

Gotta think he's a goodwill gesture toward fans in the sense of, "Hey Baltimore--a bunch of PE guys bought your team, but Cal is involved, so we'll definitely be staying in Camden Yards."

There's not the slightest doubt in my mind that most if not all of the investment group besides the two principals were in part invited to send a reassuring message to the fans and people with a stake in the community.  After all, there's no shortage of rich people who would be happy to invest in a professional sports franchise.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 24fps said:

There's not the slightest doubt in my mind that most if not all of the investment group besides the two principals were in part invited to send a reassuring message to the fans and people with a stake in the community.  After all, there's no shortage of rich people who would be happy to invest in a professional sports franchise.

As long as Cal stays in his lane it should be fine. And by his lane I mean smiling, shaking hands and nothing more. The last thing we need is another Brady Anderson situation. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Calvin Hill,  the former Cowboys and Redskins player who is Grant HIll's father, is a Baltimore native (Cardinal Gibbons) who was on the Orioles' board of directors back when Edward Bennett Williams owned the team.

My dad got to know Calvin Hill when he was with the Os. Super nice, very classy guy. His son is the same way. 

So is John Angelos officially a member of the ownership group? He was described as hanging on as a "major investor" but is that different than being part of the ownership group?

And what of the other members of the original ownership group under Angelos?

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

As long as Cal stays in his lane it should be fine. And by his lane I mean smiling, shaking hands and nothing more. The last thing we need is another Brady Anderson situation. 

Right. I think he has some worthwhile things to say and comment on for sure but he needs to let Elias and the gang do what they do.  I could see Cal as a voice to try to keep the young players and get them locked up.

I also can see him as a “coach”..going down on working with guys and just being a sounding board for them…especially a guy like Gunnar.