What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?

Frobby

What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?

• Couldn’t be happier - great pitcher, would have been willing to give up more if needed
    • Love it - great pitcher, price is fair and reasonable
    • Like it a lot -great pitcher, but the price was a bit steep
    • Okay with it but nervous - putting a lot of eggs in one-year basket for two good cost-controlled players and a pick
    • Don’t really like it

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/24 at 09:23

I’m hopeful, but would prefer we signed Montgomery than get one year of Burnes for those two guys.

Ortiz and Hall could have been great pieces for us too. Even this year, especially Hall in our pen.

That said, if we resign Burnes, it’s a home run. As it stands though, we just put a lot of eggs into a one year basket in a sport littered with champions who got hot at the right time.

If we’re doing this, I think we need another high leverage reliever now. 

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I’m hopeful, but would prefer we signed Montgomery than get one year of Burnes for those two guys.

Ortiz and Hall could have been great pieces for us too. Even this year, especially Hall in our pen.

That said, if we resign Burnes, it’s a home run. As it stands though, we just put a lot of eggs into a one year basket in a sport littered with champions who got hot at the right time.

If we’re doing this, I think we need another high leverage reliever now. 

This is a fair and reasonable take even if you will most likely be in the minority.

There is always risk involved in trading.  But the Orioles traded for an elite pitcher and arguably still have the number one farm system in baseball.  Burnes could perform poorly, but this is a fantastic deal and caps a simply unbelievable 24 hours to be an Oriole fan.  

Lift off has arrived in a big way.  And as an old friend used to say...I'm just...

Hangin on for the ride.

Love it. Price was steep but Burnes is the perfect piece. If you have a chance to really move the needle you take it. Hate to give up Hall and Ortiz but that is the price for the pitcher we want. To get Burnes without giving up Holliday, Mayo, or Basallo is a solid win. Trade Simulator puts the trade at 32.5 to 33.3 if you consider a comp pick for Burnes washing out the #34 pick. I don't think it's a steal but it's a good trade for both teams. 

I'm pretty much on par with the OP. It's bittersweet to give up Hall because of how big of a fan I am of his and how much I followed and believed in him. Ortiz was blocked but he's a great player and he deserves an opportunity in the Majors, so I count it as a positive for him to be traded.

All that said, you have to give up something to get something and even if just for 1 season, we just got one of the top starting pitchers in all of baseball. It's the player I wanted most all along for a whole year. So for that reason, this news has made me feel like a kid on Christmas morning.  I am extremely excited to see Corbin Burnes pitch in an Orioles uniform and contribute to a run for a World Series Championship.

• Upvote 2

I love the deal because I think we have a legitimate shot to extend Burnes.  I trust Elias and Rubenstein will build an excellent business relationship and Boras will soon realize the Orioles are for real and a premier landing spot for his clients.

17 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

I love the deal because I think we have a legitimate shot to extend Burnes.  I trust Elias and Rubenstein will build an excellent business relationship and Boras will soon realize the Orioles are for real and a premier landing spot for his clients.

Burnes has confirmed he is testing the market unless he gets totally blown away. I don't think it's likely we extend him. But that's ok!