JD Martinez

Roll Tide

57 minutes ago, foxfield said:

What you want is perfectly reasonable.  But you seem entirely to focused on money.  The team needs to work to improve.  I don't care what it costs, you shouldn't either.  They are going to spend money and payroll will be higher next year and the year after that.  We need them to make improvements and some of that is rightfully going to come from within and not cost much.

The improvements that are needed are going to cost too, I'm not saying they wont.  But ownership and the GM should simply work in tandem to make sure the team has what it needs.  I am not really concerned about how much that costs because it should be able to be done without jumping this particular team into say top ten in payroll.

Right..if the Orioles can trade for Brenton Doyle (my favorite top target), why should we care that his salary is low? Also in that scenario, Mullins is likely gone, so payroll would actually go down I believe.

But someone like Bemore wins would still complain because the payroll isn’t where he thinks it should be.

Edited by Sports Guy

23 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Where are you getting your stats from that's not correct looking at OPS.

image.thumb.png.4d7810853fbd484525878976e618fd8a.png

Yeah, he would have been 10th in OPS+ (106) among the guys with 300+ PAs. Just behind Adley and Cedric (both 107).

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right..if the Orioles can trade for Brenton Doyle (my favorite top target), why should we care that his salary is low? Also in that scenario, Mullins is likely gone, so payroll would actually go down I believe.

But someone like Bemore wins would still complain because the payroll isn’t where he thinks it should be.

What would you trade for him? Do you think Colorado would trade him?

Edited by MCO'sFan

40 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Ok that's using the official 502 plate appearances cutoff used for batting average title. I'm a J.D. Martinez fan, but at this point of his career it's a no from me. He's headed the wrong direction age wise and in performance.

If the Orioles didn't make any major move for a RHB then maybe you take a chance on him, but I'd like to see the Orioles get someone younger.

35 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Yeah, he would have been 10th in OPS+ (106) among the guys with 300+ PAs. Just behind Adley and Cedric (both 107).

I would have been good with J.D. Martinez until now and Martinez will turn 38 years old next August. Walltimore might be a bit much for him at this stage of his career.

I see him strictly as a fallback option and if Martinez was brought in you'd have to be hoping to squeeze one more good season out of him. Elias should be aiming for a younger RHB still in their prime even if it's more of a platoon player.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

4 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I struggle to understand the logic of us cost cutting or targeting players who are lower cost. We are what 27th in MLB in payroll? Is the goal to be 30th?

Because many Orioles fans are trained to think that way. It's so bizarre I be willing to bet other fan bases don't act this way. 

3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I knew this was coming...lol

Telling me what I think and then the name calling. I'll refrain.

Have a nice day friend!

Yep I've been on the other end of this from him and many others like this on here. Like only their opinions matter and you are wrong. Many are such honers that you can't be critical at all or you should root for another team. Blah blah blah. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well people who want to spend just to spend and feel better that the payroll is high are not smart fans. 

I mean I agree of course I don't want them to blow their wad stupidly I 1000 percent agree there but I want a commitment that they will strike when  the iron is hot. For example if another Blake Snell situation happens again this year and clearly he is not getting the money nowhere near what people thought in the beginning of FA jump on that. My point is in no way should things be like they were with JA there should be room for payroll growth with such a young team.