Orioles interviews (Palmer, Ripken)

Moose Milligan

I'm definitely going to watch these, thanks for the heads up. 

Although, the weak catchers and report is probably one of my favorite weeks of the year, despite no stats to look at.

Something about those first images of dudes playing catch that make my happy, happy.

10 minutes ago, Orioles West said:

I'm definitely going to watch these, thanks for the heads up. 

Although, the weak catchers and report is probably one of my favorite weeks of the year, despite no stats to look at.

Something about those first images of dudes playing catch that make my happy, happy.

The worst is the time between everyone reporting and the first ST game. Yawn. Second worst is around the second week of March, when a lot of the interesting prospects have already been sent to minor league camp, the starting pitchers are just trying to get through four innings without getting hurt, and Opening Day still feels like an eternity away.

• Upvote 1

By the way... for all you statheads out there, is there any better 10-year period by a pitcher in ML history than Jim's 1969-1978? He went 192-101 with a 2.52 ERA (139 ERA+ and 56.3 WAR), and that includes a "stinker" year of 1974 where he only posted an ERA of 3.27 over 26 starts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

By the way... for all you statheads out there, is there any better 10-year period by a pitcher in ML history than Jim's 1969-1978? He went 192-101 with a 2.52 ERA (139 ERA+ and 56.3 WAR), and that includes a "stinker" year of 1974 where he only posted an ERA of 3.27 over 26 starts.

First place I looked.

Walter Johnson had a stretch from 1910-1919 that was worth over 100 rWAR (led the league seven times) and won 265 games.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

First place I looked.

Walter Johnson had a stretch from 1910-1919 that was worth over 100 rWAR (led the league seven times) and won 265 games.

OK ... I'll give you Walter Johnson. How about the modern era?

2 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

OK ... I'll give you Walter Johnson. How about the modern era?

It's bed time but I'll give you this resource to peruse.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_P.shtml

It looks at seven year blocks instead of 10.

I think you can make a case for peak Johnson and Clemens, of course some of the counting stats won't look as impressive but that's because of the five man rotation.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's bed time but I'll give you this resource to peruse.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/jaws_P.shtml

It looks at seven year blocks instead of 10.

I think you can make a case for peak Johnson and Clemens, of course some of the counting stats won't look as impressive but that's because of the five man rotation.

I suppose I am wondering if there is any starting pitcher in the 70s that you would have rather have had on your staff than Palmer? 

29 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Tom Seaver had the same ERA those 10 years, and fWAR gives him a bunch more of its credits due to the strikeouts.

Perhaps overcrediting Brooks and Belanger, fWAR only considers Palmer 7th best for '69-'78, lagging G. Perry, Blyleven, Jenkins, P. Niekro and Carlton as well as Seaver.

All but Blyleven of those were more NL guys.    Blyleven's career - it was new to me recently the enormous innings totals he posted basically right out of high school.   He may have thrown more innings by the time he was the age of Grayson Rodriguez at his MLB debut as Grayson may throw in his career.    By the end of Blyleven's Age 23 season, he'd posted 1335 IP, about Jacob deGrom's career total.

• Upvote 2