O's Acquire OF Peyton Burdick

ThisIsBirdland

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I personally prefer McKenna to his entire slate of competition: Hilliard, Burdick, Johnson, and Mateo. 

But it's hard to not see how the Orioles are protecting themselves in case they have to make the decision to DFA him and he gets claimed. I don't think they know if they will make that move yet, but they're gameplanning for it just in case. 

I'm intrigued to see what Hilliard and Burdick bring to the table in Spring Training. Their power potential could be a fun addition to this years club. One interesting aspect of this debate that won't get talked about a lot if McKenna's role in the club house. You can easily see it on TV and Hyde's mentioned it a few times that McKenna is very well-liked in the clubhouse. If neither Hilliard or Burdick crush it in ST, I could see Hyde sticking with McKenna.  I'm sure all three guys and Stowers are really feeling the heat coming into camp, the OF is very crowded. 

Burdock reminds me of Bubba Starling or even Fabian. Basically, a running back type playing baseball. It’s interesting that we chose this type of AAA CF versus a low pop/more speed type CF in Muzzioti from Philly. I guess we think there’s more ceiling. 

At this point, we should looks at Soto/Burdick and hope that our milb staff can make some adjustments and unlock their potential. 

Also, we’re able to make these claims because our 40 man roster is in great shape. Just think, guys like Norby, Holliday, Mayo, etc…, haven’t had to be added yet. So we have depth in AAA, that isn’t clogging a 40 man spot. So we can essentially get some rule 5 potential type guys and we have the ability to tinker with them in AAA versus hamstringing the mlb roster. 

Matón, Hilliard, and McKenna can be lost on waivers when sent down.  Burdick and Soto cannot.    That’s where the value of the latter two comes in.  This is just Elias constantly looking to upgrade the 40 man and figure out where all of the pieces fit when the dust settles.   I think the plan is still to have Holliday at 2B and Kjerstad make the team along with Mateo, Urias, McCann on the bench but he has a lot of flexibility in backup plans.

• Upvote 2

Older Jud Fabian?     Looking at All Minors numbers from 2023, his line is another good reminder how high offense was in the International League last year, so high that Connor Norby's very attractive raw numbers were about league average.

Burdick 219/327/448 in the IL got a 92 wRC+

Fabian 223/349/440 in A+/AA got a 117 wRC+

Burdick surpassed Fabian 37-32 at K%.

That said, there are some tools and it is a Bat that career to date has only experienced Marlins player development.    He and McKenna were born the same month.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Matón, Hilliard, and McKenna can be lost on waivers when sent down.  Burdick and Soto cannot.    That’s where the value of the latter two comes in.  This is just Elias constantly looking to upgrade the 40 man and figure out where all of the pieces fit when the dust settles.   I think the plan is still to have Holliday at 2B and Kjerstad make the team along with Mateo, Urias, McCann on the bench but he has a lot of flexibility in backup plans.

Before we see another transaction or injuries, Kjerstad, Mateo, Urias and McCann as the Build a Bench seems right.    I think Roster Resource for now over its skis guessing Hilliard to make the team.

Reid Detmers Game 1 is automatic O'Hearn on bench, but will Hyde pick a RH veteran over the kid that afternoon for the DH start?

Mayo v. Cowser might then be an interesting fight for first callup - if Mateo can show himself a better Infield-Outfield flex guy than Frazier or O'Hearn were, the positions those two guys can defend may not matter very much.

I'd thought at times this offseason Coby Mayo might be the Goldilocks to make the team and chase Evan Carter if Elias thought Kjerstad/Cowser were too blah and really wanted to preserve an extra cost-contained year on a guy like Holliday while still taking a shot at the bonus RoY pick incentive, but early quotes sound like no.

The Os have been swooping up DFAs pretty liberally again. Elias has done this in the past, using the back of the roster to collect and then DFA them himself hoping to pass about 50% of them through waivers and sneak them into AAA.

6 hours ago, ScGO's said:

The Os have been swooping up DFAs pretty liberally again. Elias has done this in the past, using the back of the roster to collect and then DFA them himself hoping to pass about 50% of them through waivers and sneak them into AAA.

So far this offseason with playing the waivers game,

We’ve Lost

- Khreibel, Soto

We’ve gained 

- Davidson, Hilliard, Heasley, Nevin, Maton, Krook, and Ort.

In Limbo

- Burdick, Castillo

We potentially get to open up two more roster spots if we decide to 60 day IL Bradish and Means. 

51 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’ve Lost

- Khreibel, Soto

We’ve gained 

In Limbo

- Burdick, Castillo

We potentially get to open up two more roster spots if we decide to 60 day IL Bradish and Means. 

Hilliard, McKenna, Maton and Nevin have to make the team by OD or be put through waivers to try to get them to AAA.  That is 4 possible spot on the roster that may open.   

Edited by wildcard

16 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’ve Lost

- Khreibel, Soto

We’ve gained 

In Limbo

- Burdick, Castillo

Castillo cleared waivers today, so we gained him too. 

• Upvote 1