Carter Baumler

Rustbelt

4 minutes ago, Rustbelt said:

What is the status of Carter Baumler this spring?  Is he healthy now after several injured years?  He was such highly regarded prospect when drafted. 

Minor league camp hasn’t opened yet, so who knows?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Since1984 said:

Check out the minor league threads for Carter’s history.  He played in the 2023 AFL and after a brilliant start was shut down before the season ended. His subsequent interview mentioned nothing about any injuries.

Five earned runs in 10 innings is brilliant now?  He did strike out a bunch of guys.

I’m to the point where we don’t need to hit a straight flush with our pitchers. We just need to get something out of them at the MLB level. When we converted Givens back to pitching after a failed SS run, he was in the majors in 1.5 seasons. I’d surely take that type of career from a guy like Baumler. Also, he can always go back to starting in the future. 

I would have Baumler, Seth Johnson, and Teddy Sharkey around AA to start this year and hopes that we could turn one into a mlb set up man by the trade deadline. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m to the point where we don’t need to hit a straight flush with our pitchers. We just need to get something out of them at the MLB level. When we converted Givens back to pitching after a failed SS run, he was in the majors in 1.5 seasons. I’d surely take that type of career from a guy like Baumler. Also, he can always go back to starting in the future. 

I would have Baumler, Seth Johnson, and Teddy Sharkey around AA to start this year and hopes that we could turn one into a mlb set up man by the trade deadline. 

Sharkey starts, most likely, at  Aberdeen but could move fast.  Baumler is all about health and just getting some innings.  He should start at Delmarva or Aberdeen and just see if he can make it through the season.  If Baumler was a mid to high 90’s guy I could see converting him to relief and trying to fast track him.  My impression from watching AFL video is that he’s not a power pitcher.

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sharkey starts, most likely, at  Aberdeen but could move fast.  Baumler is all about health and just getting some innings.  He should start at Delmarva or Aberdeen and just see if he can make it through the season.  If Baumler was a mid to high 90’s guy I could see converting him to relief and trying to fast track him.  My impression from watching AFL video is that he’s not a power pitcher.

Don’t laugh because of what we’re currently doing with the back end of the rotation… but don’t we now have a higher standard for what SP have to be to be able to crack the rotation of a perennial contender? 

So instead of letting these guys toil in the minors trying to develop into 5th starter types for 2nd tier teams, why not convert them to relievers once they get to the AA level and have a significant injury history?

Basically, just get something out of them. Again, they could always go back to starting. Let them focus on two pitches and only throw 60-70 IP. Let’s be honest, that’s what they’re going to be doing anyway, just in three inning starts. What does that do at this point other than land them on the surgeon’s table and end ticket them to Korea. 

Look at Tanner Scott for example. We could be reaping the rewards of his arm, but instead we converted him in AAA and rushed him to the majors to develop as a reliever. The writing was on the wall long before that. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Don’t laugh because of what we’re currently doing with the back end of the rotation… but don’t we now have a higher standard for what SP have to be to be able to crack the rotation of a perennial contender? 

So instead of letting these guys toil in the minors trying to develop into 5th starter types for 2nd tier teams, why not convert them to relievers once they get to the AA level and have a significant injury history?

Basically, just get something out of them. Again, they could always go back to starting. Let them focus on two pitches and only throw 60-70 IP. Let’s be honest, that’s what they’re going to be doing anyway, just in three inning starts. What does that do at this point other than land them on the surgeon’s table and end ticket them to Korea. 

Could have done that with Chayce McDermott.  Instead he learned a new pitch, improved his command, and now is talked about as a mid rotation starter.  I have no problem converting certain starters to relievers.  Armbruester is one who comes to mind.   I don’t care if they convert Baumler either but he has a long way to go either way and it’s not like he keeps breaking down because of pitching too many innings.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Five earned runs in 10 innings is brilliant now?  He did strike out a bunch of guys.

Cannot locate the forum we were posting about Carter during October 2023, but he was lights out in one of AFL his starts. He may have finished with a pore outing and then abruptly stopped pitching by mid-October which always is a concern with his shoulder and elbow history 

Edited by Since1984

17 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Cannot locate the forum we were posting about Carter during October 2023, but he was lights out in one of AFL his starts. He may have finished with a pore outing and then abruptly stopped pitching by mid-October which always is a concern with his shoulder and elbow history 

You can't find the minor league forum? 

21 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Oh you mean he had a brilliant appearance in a start in the AFL.  I thought you meant his start in the AFL was brilliant.

Yea, I can totally buy that he had a dominant start.  The overall numbers are pretty mundane.