The Logic Behind the Burnes Move

Bahama O's Fan

I think Elias was talking to the White Sox about Cease, Brewers about  Burnes , Marlins, Seattle and others in  December.    Gauging who was available and at what cost.   

When Bradish went down in early Jan.  it added some urgency to the negotiation.    Cease was too expensive in terms of players.    Elias didn't want to part with 6 years of Hall but when the Brewers agreed on  Ortiz/Hall and a draft choice  that fell into place.    JA agreed to adding the 15 M payroll figuring he would not have to pay it because of the sale.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think Elias was talking to the White Sox about Cease, Brewers about  Burnes , Marlins, Seattle and others in  December.    Gauging who was available and at what cost.   

When Bradish went down in early Jan.  it added some urgency to the negotiation.    Cease was too expensive in terms of players.    Elias didn't want to part with 6 years of Hall but when the Brewers agreed on  Ortiz/Hall and a draft choice  that fell into place.    JA agreed to adding the 15 M payroll figuring he would not have to pay it because of the sale.

Did Bradish go down officially in January? Or did they agree to some kind of PRP/therapy protocol to see if he could pitch this season?

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Did Bradish go down officially in January? Or did they agree to some kind of PRP/therapy protocol to see if he could pitch this season?

From what I have read Bradish reported pain while throwing in early Jan.   They did an MRI and found a tear.    I would think that happened by mid Jan.   I don't know what makes it official.  Or whether it needed to be official.   Its really is when Elias realized he was not going to have Bradish for a part of the season.

Edited by wildcard

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don’t see how any of the “logic” here matters. We got Burnes in a great deal, that should be enough. 

Well, my thinking is if we were trying to improve a rotation with an assumed healthy Means and Bradish, then we might still be looking for someone else to replace them now. If this was more in response to the injuries to Means and Bradish, then Elias is probably done for now. 

3 hours ago, dystopia said:

He got him because he makes the team better and we're trying to win a championship.

Part of the reason he makes us better is that two of our top three pitchers have elevated injury risks. Now he makes us a LOT better, not just incrementally.

6 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Do you think the Burnes move was 

A. Part of the offseason plan to add to our starting pitching, assuming everyone was healthy (Bradish, Means)

B. A response to knowing about the injuries

C. Something else entirely

A.  We never want to plan for an injury, but it unfortunately happens.