Alex Pham 2024

Frobby

5 shutout innings for Pham tonight on 3 hits, no walks, 6 K’s to lower his ERA to 4.67.  Here’s his ERA by month:

April 7.78

May 5.64

June 4.43

July 3.60

August 0.60

Not a bad trend line!

• Like 1

Just now, Frobby said:

5 shutout innings for Pham tonight on 3 hits, no walks, 6 K’s to lower his ERA to 4.67.  Here’s his ERA by month:

April 7.78

May 5.64

June 4.43

July 3.60

August 0.60

Not a bad trend line!

Just came here to note the same. Two shutouts in a row, 1 run or less in five of last six. Good looking overhand curveball. 

Dare we promote him to Baltimore?  I mean he's not exactly GrayRod, so if he get's messed up, the O's aren't ruining a top prospect.  This is the sort of thing that seems to always work for other teams like the Yankees but never the O's.  Yankees promote random,unheard of prospect to pitch game against O's.  Prospect pitches 6 scoreless innings and is sent back down.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, emmett16 said:

5.1ip 7K 2BB 1H 0R

And the win over Jackson Jobe.

3 of the strikeouts were consecutive in the 2nd inning after a leadoff double.

Walks were consecutive too to middle of the lineup guys in 4th inning, first one to the guy who had doubled off him.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

Pham is putting up some excellent numbers in August so far, 0.99 ERA and 0.732 WHIP in 5 starts.  He should get one more August start before I make my pitcher of the month call.   

He's finishing the year strong. When he's commanding the baseball he's able to get outs. but I'd like to see what he looks like against AAA hitters. Plus I want to see his statcast info. 

I don't like him as much as some evaluators because I never saw an outpitch, but I will watch him again to see what's changed.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's finishing the year strong. When he's commanding the baseball he's able to get outs. but I'd like to see what he looks like against AAA hitters. Plus I want to see his statcast info. 

I don't like him as much as some evaluators because I never saw an outpitch, but I will watch him again to see what's changed.

I’m just glad he’s turned his season around.  He was pretty brutal in April and May.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m just glad he’s turned his season around.  He was pretty brutal in April and May.  

Even in April and May he was delivering decent peripheral numbers that were much better than the brutal ERA. 

He’s now at a solid 3.74 FIP / 3.62 xFIP on the season. 

He should hopefully be in AAA soon since he’s a bubble guy for Rule 5 protection this offseason. Based on his numbers I’d expect him to get protected. But based on his scouting reports, I’m with Tony in that I want to see his Statcast numbers.

Pham being 5’11 with that extreme overhead delivery with some fall off to the first base side of the mound reminds me of Coulombe’s delivery. Coulombe of course is insane at spinning the ball, so that’s not at all Pham, but I think he’s good evidence that it produces a funky release point that could allow the fastball to play up.

Pham is already a big fly ball pitcher at AA so the big question in my mind is if his fastball will keep working up in the zone against better hitters, or if he has the secondary offerings to succeed without throwing too many fastballs. Otherwise, I’d worry that he’s going to have bad HR issues at the MLB level as a high fastball guy without good velo.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

His arm slot looks pretty over the top to me. Do hitters see that delivery often? 

On 8/26/2024 at 10:27 AM, ChosenOne21 said:

I just can't shake the Alex Wells vibes with Pham.

Just because they are both named Alex? Wells had 7.1 K/9 in the minors, while Pham is at 10.7. They throw with different hands. I'm not predicting anything for Pham but they are very different pitchers.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good outing for Pham, allowing 1 ER on 4 hits and 2 walks, 6 K’s.  He wasn’t very pitch-efficient, throwing 82 in 4 innings, but I suspect he was only going 4 anyway, as Reilly was piggybacking with him.  We could see both again in the Bowie finale on Sunday.