Ohtani's Interpreter Accused of Theft, Fired.

Can_of_corn

This doesn't look good.  And I agree, it's odd that an interpreter would have access to his money like that.

To be clear, the only thing I'm hoping about is this doesn't come back on Ohtani with evidence that he gambled on baseball.  I don't think he's that dumb but you never know for sure.

I hope that whatever it is, it gets swept under the rug.  Used to be in this country that things like this would get swept under the rug, that things like this would go away.  But everyone wants to be a Woodward and Bernstein to take someone down so they can make a name for themselves.   How do I still know the name Mark Fainaru-Wada 20 years after Barry Bonds?

Ohtani doesn't need to go down, but as we speak there's a bunch of journalists right now digging and digging and digging and trying to put pieces together as to just how deep Ohtani's gambling problem goes and they won't stop until they find something salacious, illegal and damaging.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

This doesn't look good.  And I agree, it's odd that an interpreter would have access to his money like that.

To be clear, the only thing I'm hoping about is this doesn't come back on Ohtani with evidence that he gambled on baseball.  I don't think he's that dumb but you never know for sure.

I hope that whatever it is, it gets swept under the rug.  Used to be in this country that things like this would get swept under the rug, that things like this would go away.  But everyone wants to be a Woodward and Bernstein to take someone down so they can make a name for themselves.   How do I still know the name Mark Fainaru-Wada 20 years after Barry Bonds?

Ohtani doesn't need to go down, but as we speak there's a bunch of journalists right now digging and digging and digging and trying to put pieces together as to just how deep Ohtani's gambling problem goes and they won't stop until they find something salacious, illegal and damaging.  

MLB needs to take a lesson from the NBA.

Ref in the NBA gets caught in a gambling scandal and they close ranks and don't help the FBI.  Everyone pretty much forgets about it.

MLB had players hitting on trash cans and somehow make it into a big deal.

Anyway yea, I think Ohtani did a very stupid thing and paid off his buddy's debt without properly hiding where the money was coming from.

• Upvote 2

This story is so shady. How they changed the story from Ohtani helping out his friend to oh yeah wait that's still super illegal, nevermind, it was only the interpreter. 

Good lord. I'd love to see the Dodgers front office meetings right now. This thing is going to go bad quick I think. 

14 hours ago, MDK02 said:

Anyone else think this sounds like a cover up for Ohtani being the one who was actually betting on games? Seems pretty suspicious. 

Yeah it sounds dirty.  Ohtani better be able to prove this story or Baseball better kick him the hell out.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The real question is, with all the money that all the major sports are getting from gambling, how long can this relationship go on before it crashes in a spectacular fashion?

Baseball is insane to flirt with these sports betting companies.   

4 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Yeah it sounds dirty.  Ohtani better be able to prove this story or Baseball better kick him the hell out.

I don't think that would be on the table unless he was betting on MLB games specifically?  

Anyway, Shohei is the biggest star baseball has had since the Bonds-Griffey days. And he has a golden boy, storybook, I defer my money for the good of the team and I send my money back home to my family, reputation. I don't think he's going down unless something VERY bad and completely provable has happened. 

14 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Or Pete Rose is going to finally be able to get reinstated into baseball and inducted into the HOF. If Ohtani really is guilty of gambling on baseball and MLB covers it up it's hard to justify keeping Rose blackballed the last 35+ years.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

14 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

I doubt that. What would Ohtani have to bet to beat his $70 million dollar salary?

Is your argument that wealthy people don’t gamble? Someone better notify Vegas. 

I agree with others that this whole thing stinks of a cover up. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's all the sports.

And it's easy money for professional sports leagues and owners that they aren't going to turn down. Ohtani isn't going to be the last situation like this to arise because legalized sports gambling is going nowhere.