Ohtani's Interpreter Accused of Theft, Fired.

Can_of_corn

On 3/21/2024 at 10:29 AM, RZNJ said:

So, this BFF has the ability to wire unlimited funds from Ohtani's bank account to anyone?   Anything is possible.

There's an article today from Britt Ghiroli about MLB interpreters: https://theathletic.com/5362145/2024/03/22/mlb-language-interpreters-ippei-mizuhura-shohei-ohtani/ 

They do a lot more than translate. Ippei reportedly made $300-500k/year which from what I can tell is way more than other interpreters, and it sounds like he's basically a personal assistant. So I can imagine he has access to bank accounts. Whether typical bank security would let him do that straightup, I don't really know, but could Ippei have had all the bank info he needed to pull off a scam, maybe.

3 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

There's an article today from Britt Ghiroli about MLB interpreters: https://theathletic.com/5362145/2024/03/22/mlb-language-interpreters-ippei-mizuhura-shohei-ohtani/ 

They do a lot more than translate. Ippei reportedly made $300-500k/year which from what I can tell is way more than other interpreters, and it sounds like he's basically a personal assistant. So I can imagine he has access to bank accounts. Whether typical bank security would let him do that straightup, I don't really know, but could Ippei have had all the bank info he needed to pull off a scam, maybe.

Anything is possible.  It sounds like multiple wire transfers were done.  I read about 2 separate 500K transfers.  If a total of 4.5M was wired it’s not clear if it was always done in 500K increments.   The “fishiest” part of the story is how Ohtani’s camp (agent?) made the interpreter available to ESPN for the interview in which he stated that Ohtani made the transfers and knew about the gambling debts.  Then, within 24 hours, lawyers get involved on behalf of Ohtani, and the interpreter’s story changes to Ohtani knew nothing.

There’s a cover up and damage control going on.  To what extent, I don’t know.  I suspect the original ESPN interview may have been damage control and the the lawyers saw/heard it and said NO!   He’s exposed legally!  Disavow!   Disavow!

I don’t know the truth.  I suspect we haven’t heard the whole truth yet.  I don’t think Ohtani was the actual gambler but that possibility is still on the table.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Anything is possible.  It sounds like multiple wire transfers were done.  I read about 2 separate 500K transfers.  If a total of 4.5M was wired it’s not clear if it was always done in 500K increments.   The “fishiest” part of the story is how Ohtani’s camp (agent?) made the interpreter available to ESPN for the interview in which he stated that Ohtani made the transfers and knew about the gambling debts.  Then, within 24 hours, lawyers get involved on behalf of Ohtani, and the interpreter’s story changes to Ohtani knew nothing.

There’s a cover up and damage control going on.  To what extent, I don’t know.  I suspect the original ESPN interview may have been damage control and the the lawyers saw/heard it and said NO!   He’s exposed legally!  Disavow!   Disavow!

I don’t know the truth.  I suspect we haven’t heard the whole truth yet.  I don’t think Ohtani was the actual gambler but that possibility is still on the table.

Word from off the record ex-teammates is that Ohtani didn't follow any other sports.

Either Ohtani is naive to an extreme and Ippei is a huge crook or both.  Ohtani needs to clean this stuff up because this is the one thing you can not do in MLB.  Or at least you couldnt do before Baseball got in bed with gambling.  

Ohtani seems to only have one answer....."I no speak English"  dude you have lived here for six years.  

Its hard to believe him totally.  I am sure Japan is humiliated by his mistakes.  

Edited by Gurgi

Just now, Gurgi said:

Either Ohtani is naive to an extreme and Ippei is a huge crook or both.  Ohtani needs to clean this stuff up because this is the one thing you can not do in MLB.  Or at least you couldnt do before Baseball got in bed with gambling.  

No one has said anything about any betting on Baseball.

That's the one thing you can't do.

Betting on Football (soccer) is a different can of worms.

MLB talking heads saying Ohtani nipped everything in the bud and everything is now cool.   Amazing transparency by Ohtani.  

Move along....nothing to see here.   What a load of crap.

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

MLB talking heads saying Ohtani nipped everything in the bud and everything is now cool.   Amazing transparency by Ohtani.  

Move along....nothing to see here.   What a load of crap.

I dont really care that his interpreter bet on sports. Its not like Ohtani willingly gave him the money, unless Im way behind on the story.  

Ohtani tried to say the first he knew of anything wrong was when Ippei was talking to the Dodgers clubhouse in English.   Ohtani says he knew nothing beforehand.  Dude seems to be sleepwalking through life if this is true. 

Is Ohtani so clueless that someone can steal 4.5 million from him over several months with Ohtani's own account and he does not find out at all?

Just now, jabba72 said:

I dont really care that his interpreter bet on sports. Its not like Ohtani willingly gave him the money, unless Im way behind on the story.  

The first story to come out was that Ohtani did give him the money.

Either way no one outside of Gurgi seems to think Ohtani himself bet or that betting on baseball occurred.

Just now, Gurgi said:

Ohtani tried to say the first he knew of anything wrong was when Ippei was talking to the Dodgers clubhouse in English.   Ohtani says he knew nothing beforehand.  Dude seems to be sleepwalking through life if this is true. 

Is Ohtani so clueless that someone can steal 4.5 million from him over several months with Ohtani's own account and he does not find out at all?

Very possibly?

How often does it come out that musician X, athlete Y or actor Z got cleaned out by their agent or a relative?

Ohtani seems a great guy but the cluelessness is amazing.  He needs to get some real help.  Was Boras his agent?  Maybe Boras can hook him up with some legit lawyers to run his finances.  And keep him as far from gamblers as you can get.  

Unless they really answer all questions people are going to have lingering questions and some will assume MLB is just covering their golden boy and cash cow.