Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Holliday needs at least a day off and with Valdez and Kikuchi pitching this weekend, i figure he gets at least one day and maybe the whole weekend off, unless he pinch hits.   Big swing, trying to pull, etc..

He needs to stop trying to be the Jack Cust of 2nd Basemen. 

Where’s the XBH, the balls in the gap, multi hit games, and stolen bases?

Age is a very valid excuse. Of course, but we need a better game plan at the plate.

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Age is a very valid excuse. Of course, but we need a better game plan at the plate.

It’s all part of the adjustment period.  He’s just trying to make those adjustments at the end of an important season. Puts the spotlight on him more.

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s all part of the adjustment period.  He’s just trying to make those adjustments at the end of an important season. Puts the spotlight on him more.

From my untrained eye I see him having difficulty recognizing pitches leading to uncompetitive swings. It also seems like some his throws are lobs or low effort tosses to 1B. 

• Upvote 1

I was really hoping he was going to be the next franchise altering guy. He’s below average at 2nd and his bat is not consistent. I understand he is young however Jackson Chourio is younger and has already developed into what I hoped Holliday would be. I watched Chourio last night and his tools are so far beyond Hollidays. 

He’s really being thrown to the fire right now which is good for his development. So many Oriole prospects came up and were coddled. Due to injuries with Westburg and Mateo, the Orioles do not have that opportunity with Holiday. He will be facing a CY Young caliber lefty today and his 4th LHP in 7 games. Iron sharpens iron and this should make him. Better player by October.

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That is concerning since he was walking so much in the minors.

I’m not concerned at all considering how wide the umps have stretched the zone on him. He has gotten very very few close calls. As a matter of fact, most of the time anything anywhere near the zone has most of often been called a strike against him. 

Next year when this “initiation” is over and the umps decide that they are done teaching him his “lesson”, he will be fine.

He has a tremendous understanding of the strike zone especially for a 20 year old.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I said the same thing about Cal in 1982.  What a bum.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I’m not concerned at all considering how wide the umps have stretched the zone on him. He has gotten very very few close calls. As a matter of fact, most of the time anything anywhere near the zone has most of often been called a strike against him. 

Next year when this “initiation” is over and the umps decide that they are done teaching him his “lesson”, he will be fine.

He has a tremendous understanding of the strike zone especially for a 20 year old.

This different strike zone for every hitter, pitcher, and fame is crap.  I'm ready for robo umps. 

4 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

He will be facing a CY Young caliber lefty today and his 4th LHP in 7 games.

Haven’t seen the lineup yet, but I’d be pretty surprised if it’s not a day off for Jackson today. I’d say Rivera at 3B, Urias at 2B.

I think it’s equal parts Framber and just trying to get Jackson a quick break to hopefully get him back on track. He’s looked a little bit April-ish during this recent skid.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

He’s really being thrown to the fire right now which is good for his development. So many Oriole prospects came up and were coddled. Due to injuries with Westburg and Mateo, the Orioles do not have that opportunity with Holiday. He will be facing a CY Young caliber lefty today and his 4th LHP in 7 games. Iron sharpens iron and this should make him. Better player by October.

This is a really good point. There is no sitting him vs tough lefties (except today of course).  Even in the minors, he had off on Mondays and then another day during the week. That’s not happening here.  

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Haven’t seen the lineup yet, but I’d be pretty surprised if it’s not a day off for Jackson today. I’d say Rivera at 3B, Urias at 2B.

I think it’s equal parts Framber and just trying to get Jackson a quick break to hopefully get him back on track. He’s looked a little bit April-ish during this recent skid.

Doesn't hurt the way he's scuffling.

16 hours ago, survivedc said:

He has been much better at 2nd recently. Just very confident making plays. Started and finished double plays tonight with good feeds and good finishing throws. Wasn’t two weeks ago that he was kidding those same plays.

Would love to see him swing first pitch, or at least first strike. Use the Buck theory, attack early. Get going.

Like I said, first pitch.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm a believer in the Golden Tee theory.

Hot streak started today.  Player of the week next week calling it now.  Most MLB veterans have their little rituals, hokey beliefs, pre game little things they do to get their juices flowing.  If this works for Holliday, great.